Dr. Elsey's cleanprotein dry - higher carb now than before?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenna & Kitsu (GA), Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Jenna & Kitsu (GA) Member

Hello all,

I recently ordered some Dr. Elsey's cleanprotein dry food for Kitsu. It is the chicken variety, which was always reported somewhere between 4-6% carb. Kitsu used to be on Young Again Zero Mature, and her BG numbers were absolutely beautiful and manageable on YAZ Mature. However, I made the decision to switch to Dr. Elsey's cleanprotein because like many cats, Kitsu suffered from diarrhea on YAZ Mature.

Right now, I'm currently mixing her remaining bit of YAZ Mature with her Dr. Elsey's cleanprotein until I fully run out of YAZ Mature. I knew her numbers would go up on Dr. Elsey's cleanprotein, due to going from trace carbs of YAZ Mature to 4-6% carbs of Dr. Elsey's, but her results are far from what I expected. She's getting up into the pinks (300s) again, when previously, she was always green or blue, and yellow at worst. Kitsu alternates on wet food that contains anywhere from 4-7% carbs and never seems to have an issue with her BG spiking from it, so it makes me truly question whether Dr. Elsey's is as low carb as advertised. Or maybe they changed the formula for it?

Has anyone else had this issue?

I do plan to adjust her dose even more to accommodate the change in her BG levels, but since she's still eating half-and-half of both foods, I'm trying to be careful how much insulin I give her, so she doesn't accidentally go hypo if she eats more YAZ Mature than Dr. Elsey's.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. It is supposed to have 4.69% carbs. Mia gets a few kibbles as her testing treat, and I have not had any issues. Of course, I am not giving her bowls of it. I emailed the company through their website with a question once, and they were very responsive. So, you could always reach out to them if you have questions or concerns.

Just a thought... The frequent dosing changes, including occasional skipped shots, could be messing with her. I have found consistency to be very important in getting things to level out.

3. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Jenna & Kitsu (GA) Member

Yeah, that's very true - I'm trying to keep things consistent with her, but there are some days she just won't eat much and I feel like I can't give her a full dose or any dose at all, since I won't be around to monitor her. This morning she was low, but I went ahead and gave her a full dose and made sure she ate a bit before I gave it to her. I'm also around more today due to it being the weekend, so I was more comfortable giving her the full dose in case I needed to give her high-carb food later in the day. I'll try to keep things more consistent and see how it goes, I just know that there were a few skipped shots on YAZ Mature and she didn't react nearly as badly as she does now, so that's why I'm looking more at the food than anything. Thanks for your input - I may email Dr. Elsey's in a few days if things don't level out. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.