Dr. Fosters & Smith

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Maggies Mom Debby, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

2. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

I got the same catalog yesterday and noticed the same article. I have plans to wrtie to them - so glad they did that! I have been a customer for over 10 years. I was wondering if they had suringes with 1/2 unit markings - something I was never able to find around here.

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I get J.D.'s Adequan from them, for a pretty good price.

4. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

This is the second time they've run that article. It's good, recommends Lantus as "the preferred insulin for cats," but is not great because although they say, "because newly diagnosed cats who receive glargine may become non-diabetic... BG level must be monitored very carefully..." they make no mention of testing BG at home. They list diseases associates with FD, but at the end of the list say, "By strictly controlling a cat's BG, the risk of many of these diseases can be reduced." Again, no mention of home-testing.

I know this isn't really a magazine where we can write to the editor, but this is the second article this winter I have seen which talks all about how important it is to control BG in FD, yet fails to mention home-testing! The other was in Cat Fancy, last Nov. I think. I wrote a letter to them, but I don't think it was published. Although one of the letters that was published made me sick to my stomach how the owner described their cat having dozens of hypo episodes.

Regardless, I do like Foster's & Smith. Some of their product is high priced, others is not, like the Adequan. And their customer service is top notch. They took back the Adequan I had ordered for Gandalf which never got used, gave me a credit, which I used on a terrarium that arrived broken and they replaced that with no extra cost to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.