**Dr. Lisa's Raw Homemade Diet Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, I currently feed Nature's Variety Raw & Wellness Canned but have wanted to feed Dr. Lisa's recipe.. but do not have a grinder.. I would like to order the Rabbit from here: Rabbit
    Then add this...

1 cup water (or, preferably, more if your cat will eat it with more water)
    2 eggs - cooked (How?)
    2000 mg wild salmon or fish oil (a good source of essential fatty acids)
    400 IU (268 mg) Vitamin E (powdered E in capsules is the easiest to use)
    50 mg Vitamin B-complex (capsules or tablets)
    2,000 mg taurine (use powdered - either in capsules or loose)
    3/4 tsp Morton Lite salt with iodine when using chicken parts - see below** (Contains potassium and sodium. Make sure that it contains iodine

** I will add the chicken meat.. since I do not have a grinder.. can I just cut into chunks? Thighs or Legs? Cooked or Raw? From Whole Foods?

Thanks so much!

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I think plain hard boiled then just smush the egg into the raw food mixture.

I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding chunks of meat. It'll give your cat's jaws a good workout, no different from a cat in the wild. Cut the meat into small bite-sized chunks. I think you can use either thights or legs. Chicken breast may be too lean. If it's a raw diet, then use raw meat :smile: You can try plain cooked meat for a little while and slowly cook the meat less and less until your cat is eating just the raw meat. Any supermarket meat that doesn't contain additives or flavorings is fine. Whole Foods has organic meats but do check to make sure that nothing has been added.

3. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

I believe according to her site, she now cooks the eggs due to the latest salmonella scare. also should ?? tell how much chicken chunks to add. she uses legs or thighs cause it is dark meat and more fat on it. do not trim off the fat. cats need some. this is because the meat to bone ratio is higher in rabbit so she adds chicken to make it a more balanced diet. be aware, some cats do not like egg. maybe you can toss it in a food processor to mince it up more for a more = distribution.

4. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Raw egg white breaks down the B-vitamins (so does raw fish do as side note), that is why in particular raw egg white should always be cooked. Raw egg yolk though doesn't have that affect, so aside from salmonella then, can always be served raw - then add the raw egg yolks as the last thing and mix it up with the food. In Sweden we have Beef Rydberg which is a hash served with raw egg yolk, see picture http://www.tasteline.com/Recept/biff_rydberg_2 and so does Italian Pasta Carbonara have, see picture http://www.tasteline.com/recept/pasta_carbonara . We don't have to be so worried here about salmonella in eggs, and I personally only buy the eggs from organic fed hens that gets to free range.

Simba and Gustav does not at all like boiled cooked eggs ... Gustav thinks the boiled egg white is a toy and start throw it around in the kitchen so there is egg white all over the walls. When fried as an omelette http://www.recepten.se/recept/omelett.html they like it better ... yea I know, they are real gourmet cats. Good thing for them that I've worked in hotel and restaurants :lol:

5. Nicole & Baby

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your feedback!!

6. dian and wheezer

August, 2010 update: In light of the current egg recalls due to salmonella contamination, I suggest cooking the entire egg.

March, 2009 update: I have been using the above recipe for the past 6 years and my cats have thrived on it. However, I am now adding some chicken meat and skin (no bones) to the ground rabbit for three reasons:

1) Rabbit has a high bone-to-meat ratio and I want to 'dilute' out that bone with some chicken meat and skin.

2) The rabbits are skinned prior to grinding. Rabbit is a naturally low-fat meat and when the skin is removed, that makes the rabbit even lower in fat. Therefore, I want to add in some skin/fat and using chicken is the easiest way to do this.

3) I can cut some or all of the chicken meat into chunks to help promote dental health.

For the recipe above, use 0.5 - 0.75 lbs of chicken meat/skin with 2.5 lbs of ground rabbit for a total of 3 - 3.25 lbs of meat/bones/skin. Cut some, or all, of the chicken meat into chunks so that they have something to chew on.

I make 30 pounds of food at one time and I am adding in ~15-20% meat/skin to the ground rabbit. In other words, if I am using 25 pounds of rabbit (meat and bones) I am adding in 5 pounds of chicken meat and skin for a total of 30 pounds. (5 divided by 30 = 17%)

For the boneless chicken meat and skin, you can either use a grinder or a food processor for the meat that you don't chunk.

7. Nicole & Baby

Maybe I am reading to much into this.. I am not trying to be clueless.. I really do have a brain :D
    But.. Vitamin B in recipe (powdered) I went to go get & see B6, B12, Bcomplex & so on.. which one?
    Same question for all other supplements recipe calls for :?
    Please help.. recipe looks simple enough but with a 20+ choices in the supplement aisle.. not so much.

8. dian and wheezer

let's see if I can help. I buy the B 100 (cheaper that way and just give half of pill. I also buy the pills cause they are cheaper than the capsules and I grind them in the grinder. I would guess there are B complex that is 50mg also. V-E I get from puritan pride but I bought mine when they were on sale. you have to look for the words vitamin -E as di-Alpha tocopheryl Acetate. did not know this initially but someone posted this a while back. I buy taurine from i-herb. I buy it in powder form..
    fish oil or salmon oil from i herb or puritans pride. depends on who is cheaper.is that all there is . I forget unless I get off my fat butt and check

9. Nicole & Baby

:lol: :lol: :lol: thanks again, Dian!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.