? Dr Pierson question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

How often does the Dr log on?
    I have a question about a stray outdoor cat I have been caring for. She had a spot on her back that look like it had gotten hair yanked out of so hard that it left an open wound about size of a may pea. I keep it clean and kept putting Neosporin on it and it started healing but then I noticed that she had hard sticky hairs sticking together on her tail but I couldn't find a wound and I know that , that's the sign of an abscess drainage. So I started looking up on her back again thinking that when she was sleeping and curled her tail around her & maybe it was laying up against her back and sure enough I found another opening underneath the fur. After removing more hair I could see that she another open raw area that was draining and as I was wiping it I felt the entire area and it was burning up with fever so I put more pressure on it and I got out a lot of puss and more wounds opened up ( there are now 3 )
    She trusts me enough now that she'll follow me around and let me rub her but she doesn't let me pick her up and I've been trying to keep the area clean but I need to find something that I can put on it besides antibiotic cream because that is just not strong enough. Kinda wish maggots were present to help w infection . There is no way that I can get meds in by mouth. She has a larger spot that actually looks like a burn . I'm experienced with wildlife and in situations like this I would use a combination of honey and sugar and wrap the area , but since she is a wild cat that is not going to happen. I have a local feed and seed store ( Tractor Supply Co) I'm going to go search there, but does anyone have any ideas about what I could use on a cat ? No veterinarian in this area will help me treat her, and I will have to trap her to even get her there.

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

How about Pill Pockets? It definitely sounds like she needs an antibiotic. Will your usual vet work with you enough to give you ABs for her even if you can't bring her in to the clinic? Maybe some sort of topical antibacterial treatment would help, just make sure it's safe if she licks and ingests it.

3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

My outside cat seemed to be ok with the liquid clavamox......

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Clovamax in a bit of tuna.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

do they still make that sulfur spray for horses for open fly wounds.... ?
    That would help seal it.

you might have to trap her so you can keep an eye on her to heal.
    There is a human product called woundseal ( pharmacies have it) that makes a scab when you pour it on an open wound but you would
    have to cone her so she couldn't lick it.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

I don't want to seal it up, with it opened its draining. I just checked on her and the area that I mentioned earlier that looks like a burn it now opened and draining. My vet isn't opened until Tuesday. I wonder if she got a bad sunburn? She's a tortoiseshell so I named her Tori. whoever left her behind used to live here because she keeps trying to come in ( and she is spayed , I've been her long enough for her to have come into heat ) I can't let her in because I don't know if she has FIV or leukemia. I'm gonna have to find something that's safe for cats. I'm gonna have to research.
    I've been giving her skittles canned food instead of the dry food so I can sure she gets water & giving her extra water. Now I'm running low on skittles food ... something is always going wrong w me :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.