Drawing insulin from the Lantus pen?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dex & Ollie, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Dex & Ollie

Dex & Ollie Member

Hi everyone-- I bought the Lantus/glargine pen when Dexter was first diagnosed (in August). I had no idea how it all worked, so when the CVS pharmacist asked if I wanted the pen for $88 or the vial for $300, I chose the pen because it was cheaper and a smaller quantity of insulin (the pharmacist told me that the vial would expire before I could use it all; I now know refrigerated insulin can last longer than he said).

I need to increase Dexter's dosage to 1.25. When I bought then pen I didn't realize that it only dosed in increments of 1 unit, so doing 1.25 units isn't possible with the pen. My vet mentioned that she had heard of people using the Lantus pen to draw insulin into a U100 needle and stopping it up again. Is this possible? Safe?

I know the best option is just sucking it up and buying the $300 vial, but I wanted to see if this community had any advice on using the pen before I spent more money. This prince of a cat is already getting all my money in his luxurious wet food! Thanks in advance.

2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Sure! Lots of us do it.

Here is a link with Info on it
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/syringe-insulin-info-handling-drawing-fine-doses.151/

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yes, using a U100 syringe is what most of us do for the reason you described to not be able to dose anything that isn't a full unit. And the needles that come with the pens are very cumbersome to use. Dexterity is much easier using the U 100 syringes to draw and shoot.

A lot of us here are using pens instead of vials since we can use the whole pen before it would go bad ( 6 months refrigerated ) where as a vial would likely go bad before you would be able to empty it.

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
  4. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

I used the pen and just used syringes to take out what I needed much easier to do when you need small doses. Never had any problem with the pen going bad. Get the syringes that have smaller increments on them I can't think of the size right now not home to check box. It will be so much easier and you will he happier.

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
  5. Dex & Ollie

Dex & Ollie Member

Thank you so much everyone! This is really helpful.

6. Joanne&TinySole

Joanne&TinySole Well-Known Member

Yup. Drawing doses from pens is the only way to go!!