Drawing insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda

Amanda Member

Hey guys,

I have a few maybe silly questions I was hoping someone might know the answer to!

Kazi is on about 1 drop of insulin- we've had a few times where I think I manage to push out that last drop without realizing it (though it could be a fur shot I suppose). Can I push her droplet out on the needle to check that I have not pushed all of the insulin out and then pull the plunger back to draw it back in and inject or is that a no no?

Also- have managed a few times to squirt my last bit of insulin out trying to release an air bubble. Can I draw more insulin with the same syringe since it has not touched anything?

Thank you!!

2. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

I believe it is yes to both questions. I would anyway, with Vetsulin. ( maybe not with fragile Lantus in regards to first question.) One drop is a real toughie. Donna

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Great questions. I would guess yes to both, even if Lantus. I think the concern about reaction between Lantus and the material on the inside of the syringe refers to letting the insulin sit in the syringe for some time.

4. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

If I understand what you are saying then yes I think that's ok.

Many people fing it works best to draw up a little more than you want to inject, then hold it over the sink or a paper towel and let the excess out by slowly twisting the plunger (instead of pushing it) let the insulin out drop by drop. Perhaps fill the syringe to 1 unit then (maybe practice with some juice in a used syringe so you can see it better) letting it out drop-wise by twisting and see how many drops are in 1U. Once you know it's 10 drops or something then you just let out drops of insulin until approximately the number of drops you want to give are remaining in the syringe.

Another trick for giving "a drop" of insulin, is......

Press the plunger hard into the syringe so that the rubber is compressed. While holding it down stick the needle into the vial like you were drawing a dose (the liquid should cover the needle tip) then release the plunger. The under pressure will then suck some insulin into the needle (you probably won't see anything in the syringe itself). there is then about 1 drop inside the needle. Inject into the cat but before withdrawing the needle from the skin keep the plunger pressed (otherwise the drop will not come off the end of the needle and will get sucked back into the needle when you release. By holding the plunger down while withdrawing the needle the drop will stay on the end of the needle and get wiped off under the skin while you are pulling the needle out.

5. Amanda

Amanda Member

Ah- I will have to try that trick of pressing hard and then just releasing pressure! I have been already holding the plunger down while withdrawing when she gets her shot, so at least we have been doing that right. ;-)

I have been drawing about a unit in at a time- that usually gives enough room for the air bubble to move around and be broken. Usually if I can get it to move directly over the needle I can push it out in the next droplet. Seems like I get an air bubble 95% of the time when I draw in my insulin! I've used 2 different types of needles with the same result. Is it just me?

6. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

If you get a small air bubble or worse several small ones (they always like to stick to the sides arrgg!) try holding the syringe needle upwards and draw in even more air, then flick the syring with your finger on the sides until all the bubbles come together and make one big one, then it is easy to center and push out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.