? drinking alot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by racn1320, Jul 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Numbers are in the normal range,but she drinks alot,pees alot,ever since i put her on cosequin and sometimes cpd oil, I think it might be the pills but wondered if anyone else had this issue

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Has she been checked for hyperthyroidism (T4 blood test)?

3. racn1320

racn1320 Member

No,but she was recently at the vet for her check up and she doesnt really gave any of the signs of hyperthyroidism except drinking lol. I stopped her cosequin cold turkey and then a few days later she was drinking normal,now that she is back on it seems to br drinking alot now again

4. FurBabiesMama

That's interesting. I have not heard of Cosequin causing excessive drinking/urination.

I always become instantly paranoid that there is a problem when I see a cat drinking a lot. I think unregulated diabetes, hyperthyroidism and kidney issues. So, I would want the appropriate tests to rule those things out. Other things, including some medications, can cause it, but for my sanity, I would want to rule out the biggies.

If Cosequin causes it, maybe you could consider alternatives? Omega 3s, 1-TDC, straight glucosamine, MSM, there are options. Depending on the severity (I assume arthritis is the issue) Adequan might be considered. I have no experience with it but @JanetNJ says it is great.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat has used cosequin before we did adequan and never noticed it causing her to drink more

6. racn1320

racn1320 Member

i cut back on the cosequin to seeif it helps

7. racn1320

racn1320 Member

It also naybe relatee to the cpd oil im giving her

8. FurBabiesMama

I think you mean CBD oil? That could be it. That is apparently a possible side effect.

9. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Woops typing on my phone,thx for correction,thats good to hear its a side affect lol. Hoping thats all it is!

10. racn1320

racn1320 Member

No oil now for a few days and i can tell a huge difference in her water drinking. If i decide to give her the oil at times is all this water drinking ok?

11. FurBabiesMama

At least you will know the cause. I have no idea if it is a problem or not, sorry. My guess (and that is ALL it is) is that it would be fine, especially if the benefits of the CBD outweigh the concerns about excess water intake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.