Drinking water

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by drjsiems, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

I have been told and read from several sources that regular tap water can often make kitty's BGs go higher. Does anyone give their kitty water from something other than the tap? If so, what?

I am looking at all ways to keep Jake OTJ because it is sooooo wonderful!!

Thanks,
    Judy & Jake

2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Because our city water is nasty we have a water cooler with the 5gal jugs of purified water delivered and that's what we give our cats. There is one water dish in the house that gets tap that in my bathroom and only Smokey drinks out of it, and when I add water to their food I use tap. I haven't noticed any effects on her numbers, but then she's a pretty consistant kitty no matter what we do.

3. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

I have no idea about tap water but I give mine the purified water from the fridge ( we have a water dispenser on our fridge that is purified and this is the same one we drink too)

4. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi :D
    Both my girls get bottled water in their food (because that is their primary source of water) water bowls are filled with tap because I never even see them touch it ;-)

5. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Judy - that sounds crazy (that tap water would increase BG). But who knows......

Mine get tap water :mrgreen:

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

The only thing Ive noticed is if I used bottled water, the dish gets scummy/grainy...
    so we switched to filtered water and its fine now, mine dont drink it anyway, Ive never come across water affecting bg levels.

7. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

Thanks everyone for your input on this topic. My city water is supposed to be very good, but just as a precaution (and since I am not very mechanically inclined to do otherwise - i.e. putting a filter on the faucet), I bought one of those Brita Pitchers that you merely insert a filter into before filling it with tap water. My boys, Jake and Boomer, in addition to the D-O-G of course, then get the filtered water poured from that pitcher. I think the taste is better and I can't smell chlorine this way.

Oh by the way, Jake got his weekly testing today - yes, I have forced myself to lay off the incessant testing- and the BG was 80. Actually I was startled that it was not around 60 like it usually is, but my testing time was not within three hours of eating, like it usually is, when the the most significant amount of natural insulin is released. I know in my head that a BG of 80 is just fine - it just takes my heart a little longer to catch up!

Judy & Jake

8. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

I give Kitty filtered water -- and I heat his food, because he doesn't like COLD food. Does Jake seem to mind about the colder addition to his food?

9. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

I add a little bit of water to his canned Wellness and THEN warm it up a bit in the microwave. Neither cat likes cold food and it is usually cold (unless of course it is a new can) because of having to be in the refrigerator after opening - I get the 12.5 ounce cans of Wellness which is a little cheaper than the 3 ounce and 5.5 ounce cans. Thankfully both of my boys like Wellness and it is soooo good for them!

10. Kathy and Kitty

We've been feeding Evo and having trouble getting used to the 5.5 oz cans, vs. the little FF. I wish Kitty were as cooperative as your boy!

11. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Great BG Judy!!! Yes 80 is fantastic. I love Wellness and what it has done for all my babies hair coats.

12. Olliecat

Olliecat Member

Have you tried warming it in the microwave (for about 20 seconds from the fridge or less for new cans)? It makes the smell come out and makes it more interesting for kitties.

I'm a late poster in here, but I've never given any other water than tap and no problems here! :)

Don't pay any attention to my ss. I'm still testing every now and again, but haven't transferred anything from my BG tester to it. Ollie is still doing great!

13. Kathy and Kitty

20 seconds!! Microwaves really do differ. I heat for just 7 seconds for food out of the refrigerator, and sometimes it's too hot, and I have to stir it until it cools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.