drooling

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jengilbert, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Jengilbert

Jengilbert New Member

Any idea why my cat is now drooling some of the time? He never used to do this at all? Could prozinc cause this? His glucose was 442 and I just gave him his shot. We are new to the diabetes thing and my vet thinks we just recently got him regulated. I tested late though because I had to go buy a batter for meter.

2. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

I'm sort of new here too, but, my Taco started drooling too, but not much, I knew he had some bad teeth and after his dental a few weeks ago and 4 teeth pulled he hasnt drooled since. I had another cat a few years ago, that started drooling excessively , and when I took her in to get spayed, the vet said when they put the tube in for the operation ,they thought she had throat cancer. You can always have his teeth checked or cleaned if they havent been done. Hope that helps

3. Jengilbert

Jengilbert New Member

Thank you. We have spent so much money in the last month. This is emotionally and financially stressful. I will call and ask the vet tomorrow if they have checked his teeth, he was just there for fluids for a few nights on Monday and Tuesday. I hope all is going well with your kitty.

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

That's usually a sign of dental issues. Diabetic cats tend to have more dental problems than non-diabetics just like humans.

5. Jengilbert

Jengilbert New Member

thank you. That's what I was afraid of. We are spending so much on this oh my gosh. I appreciate the reply though, just stressed.

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

When you start home testing, we can help you keep your kitty safe and adjust dosing so you don't have to spend tons of money on unnecessary vet visits. Also, don't let the vet talk you into the expensive pet meters for blood glucose. A human meter works just fine and will save you a bundle. The test strips on a pet meter are around $1 each, on a human meter you can get them for around 25 cents each. Considering you need to test 3-5 times/day, it really adds up. Also, the prescription pet food is bad for them, so don't let you vet convince you to buy it. Fancy Feast or Friskies will work just fine and be lower carb. If you want to go really healthy, we can help you figure out how to make homemade raw which is super easy and cheap and healthy. Same with syringes, lancets, everything really. We have tons of ways to save you money and keep your kitty healthier and safer.

Unfortunately, dentals are expensive, and there isn't much we can do about that one. That really does require a vet. :(

Jengilbert likes this.
  7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

My Willow started drooling, and she ended up needing two teeth extracted, one of which had abscessed up into the nasal passage. She had inflammation and bone infection. Definitely get the teeth checked! Dental issues can wreak havoc on a cat.

Jengilbert likes this.