Drop in blood sugar after teeth cleaning

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sylvia, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia Member

I have a 16-yr old male Siamese who was diagnosed about 6 years ago. He has done well, but did have two severe hypo. episodes several months ago. Since then, he has been on 3 or 4 units at the most and has been stable. We had his teeth cleaned a week ago, and he had to have three bad teeth pulled. Since then, he has been more vocal and agitated than usual.
    Today he seemed very upset 2 1/2 hours after his insulin shot - 4 units. I tested and he was at 67. Gave Karo syrup, dry food and then canned food and will re-test soon. He has settled down and seems just fine though. Does anyone think the bad teeth might have been complicating the diabetes enough that now he needs less insulin?

Thanks!

2. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

It's likely that the infection from the bad teeth has kept blood sugars high so yes, a decrease is probably in order. BTW that 67 is a beautiful number, not a hypo. When the numbers go below 40 you can give high carb wet food, but save the syrup, that sugar will take a while to wear off and interfere with your readings for a day or so.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It is very likely that extracting "bad" teeth will result in decreased insulin needs. In fact several members have had their kitties go off insulin after needed dental work.

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Many times when a cat's BGs start to elevate for no apparent reason, it is recommended that you get the teeth checked. Often times there are bad teeth and once cleaned or extracted the BGs go down. Dentals are very important for our sugar babies.

So, yes, after a dental your kitty may need less insulin.

Do you hometest every day?

Which insulin are using?

Attached Files:

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Member

We are using Humulin N. I have not been testing regularly, but will start again now since his readings are changing. Glad to see them drop, as he has had some very high ones in the past. Would be delighted if the teeth extractions/cleaning helped him with his diabetes. He is an amazing cat for his age, and keeps us entertained. He is the most talkative Siamese I have had and I have had many of them over the years. We just hope to keep him comfortable and healthy during his old age!

Thanks

6. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Changing food can also help lower blood sugar, that is if your feeding a high carb food presently.

What does he eat now?

7. Sylvia

Sylvia Member

He eats a high protein dry food in limited amounts. He eats the recommended Fancy Feast flavors that are low-carb.
    He has dropped from 6 units to 4 of insulin this last year and apparently I can drop him down even more, depending on his next few draws.
    He weighs 16 pounds, but not considered overweight as he is a ragdoll Siamese and weighs less than he did two years ago by almost 2 pounds.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia Member

Gave 3 1/2 units at 8:pm (2 1/2 hrs ago) Now Moka is vomiting (just once, but a large amount) Checked his blood sugar and it is 265, so he is not hypo. Maybe just a coincidence, but had two hypo incidents several months ago that were characterized by vomiting that didn't stop, so this scares me. He is calm right now, so hoping this is the end of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.