Dropped Bottle of Insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

We went to give Victor his shot tonight and as my mom was filling the syringe the bottle slipped out of her hand and fell into the sink (it didn't break), so we were wondering if it's still okay to use it? She called a 24-7 vet clinic to ask them and they said it would be, but I just wanted an opinion here. Also, one more question regarding skipped doses. Last night we didn't give him his shot, cause we didn't think he'd eaten enough of his food, we did give him his shot this morning, but if we skip giving him his dose tonight (cause it's been a while since he finished eating) we just want to know if he'll be okay?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Check the insulin and see if it is clear. If it is cloudy or has floaties in it it is no good.
    Several people have dropped their insulin bottles here and it has been ok.

I am not experienced with Humulin N insulin so can't really comment on whether you should give it or not.
    Are you testing the BSL yet?
    When is the insulin due?
    When did he last eat?

If you are skipping doses of insulin you need to be testing the urine for ketones. You can buy a bottle of Ketostix from a pharmacy for about $10

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

We haven't been able to get a meter yet but are trying to work out a way to get one ASAP. We only have a fixed monthly income and literally every bit of it goes to rent and all the other bills, so even scraping together just what it would cost for us to get the meter and other necessities is extremely difficult. Will try to also get the Ketostix you mentioned.

Victor eats twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, and he gets his food at a little after 9:00 AM/PM, but he's one of those cats who doesn't eat all his food in one sitting, he'll eat a bit then leave and come back to eat some more, and he does that probably 3 - 4 times before he's done, which is usually around 9:40 something, and we give his shot between 9:45 and 10:15.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I'm going to tag @Kris & Teasel and @JanetNJ as they know a lot more about administering Humulin insulin and will be able to help you more than I can. Hang in there it will all work out for you.:)

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  5. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Thanks. As for testing for ketones, would the Relion Ketone Test Strips be okay to use since they're available at Walmart for $6.64?

And thank you for the words of encouragement, it's making me so upset and stressed out that we can't get these things as quick as we would like. I'm always in like a constant state of worry about him.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I don't live in the US. I am from Australia so I am not familiar with the Relion ketone test strips but I am sure they are OK. Are they urine testing strips?

7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

What was in the sink? Everyone says never clean the stopper but if I absolutely had no choice I would wipe it with a Qtip and Isopropyl alcohol. I'd wait for a second opinion on that.
    Nothing about Noah makes sense, curves that don't curve, what and when he eats. A missed shot is not the end of the world as long as you are vigilant and can reason it through.
    In Canada human meters are free, I can elaborate on that more later. (It requires some fibbing) It's not the meter that makes a hole in your wallet, it's always the strips.

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

@H.M. Victor if you go to main page there is a thread called Supply Closet. Check there for people who are willing to give supplies they no longer need. You can even post asking for one if you'd like.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Try not to let it all get you down. It is always pretty overwhelming in the beginning because there is so much to learn and to get organised. But the most important thing is you have started on the FD journey with Victor. He is one lucky boy to have you in his corner!
    Things will settle down and it will soon become routine for you I promise. We have all been where you are now and understand how you are feeling. :bighug:
    Keep asking questions, it is the way to learn all about FD, and read all you can, when you have time. Also take time to breathe and be kind to yourself

10. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Yes they are.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.