? Dropping BG levels. Need advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LisaStew, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LisaStew

LisaStew Member

These numbers aren't dangerously low but I'm worried about his upcoming shot.
    This morning I decided to raise Bubby's dose from .75 to 1 unit as he was still in the 400's for 6 days.
    The problem is I thought I didn't get the full dose into him, I saw the needle come out and a little liquid on the skin, worried that his numbers might soar without this full dose I made him eat primary wet food today. He hasn't eaten the full 3/4 can yet that he should have on just wet food (it is now 2.5 hours til his shot)
    The crazy thing is his numbers have been going down all day despite the fact that I thought I gave a partial fur shot. His AMPS was 419 and his last check at +9 was 218. I haven't had anything that low since I began testing and his BG usually starts to go back up by now. I don't know how much or if I should give him a shot with such a drastic reduction. What do you think?

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

It seems that maybe it wasn't a fur shot after all. ;)

Although the numbers have come down a lot, it was over a 9 hour period and the drop is not too low or too fast. If you are concerned about the PM shot I would suggest doing a test at +11 or +11.5 and see where the numbers are then. If you are still concerned you can post and ask for dosing advice. You will get more attention if you post on the Lantus/Levemir forum:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/

And use a "?" in your title to get faster attention.

It is actually really good to see this kind of drop after all the higher numbers you have been getting. Remember too that Lantus takes about 2-3 hours to start "working" and the numbers usually will rise at the end of the cycle and after feeding. If the numbers are starting to go up at shot time it will be 2-3 hours before the insulin kicks in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.