Drug side effects

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alysha & D'Argo, Oct 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alysha & D'Argo

Alysha & D'Argo New Member

Good morning. I have a maybe odd question. I had to take D'Argo in for a vet visit on Friday evening, he had been eating less then refused dinner. The vet felt a mass in his abdomen, fingers crossed it's a pancreatitis flare up but the blood test results will not be in until Monday. We did get some medications to treat symptoms and I'm wondering about the side effects of them because D'Argo doesn't seem to be sleeping much. This is what we got....
    CERENIA, Omeprazole,
    Buprenorphine, Mirtazapine.
    Thank you.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

CERENIA is an excellent anti nausea med and is commonly given
    Omeprazole is an acid reduce similar to but better than Pepcid AC
    Buprenorphine is a pain med and can sedate the cat somewhat but amount depends upon the cat
    Mirtazapine is an appetite stimulate. Here is info on dosing
    http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/mirtazapine-cats-how-much-too-much
    too high a dose can cause over excitement of cats.

3. Alysha & D'Argo

Great. Thank you for the information. I guess the not sleeping much is a symptom of what ever else is going on.

4. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Mirtazapine can def keep them up. Bupe keeps Katie up. She was awake a solid 3 days after a shot of it. I researched it and it seems many cats get that reaction to it, while others get sleepy. If he was sleeping okay before the meds, I would guess it may be one of those two meds keeping him up. Fingers crossed for good news on Monday. Did they ultrasound his belly?

5. Alysha & D'Argo

The vet didn't have any confidence that the ultrasound would tell him what he needed to know and at a minimum of $600 I was ok hearing that.

6. Alysha & D'Argo

Also that totally makes sense because he's been sleeping this afternoon and that one is every 24 to 48 hours. We're do for another dose this evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.