dry cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PeterDevonMocha, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

We are trying to find the best dry cat food on the market for our civvie twix. We were at the pet store yesterday and saw the Evo which I know is low at 7% carbs, but then we saw a few other brands including one called Merrick BG (Before Grain) and it came in tuna and chicken flavors and then there was another brand called Felidae chicken flavor and that also advertised grain free. Was just wondering if anyone has heard of these brands and what do they think of them? Twix is currently eating Purina One but we want to get her on lower carb foods ...

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Merrick BG is 36% protein.
    Felidae is 39% protein.
    Evo is 50% protein and 7% carbs.
    Wellness Core is 50% protein and 12% carbs.

These are the guaranteed analysis numbers, and not the "as fed" values.
    I'm thinking if Evo and Core are 50% protein and 7% & 12% carbs, respectively, than the other two have to be at least 15%-20% in carbs.

I have gotten samples of the Felidae when I go to get the Evo, 9Stormy Blue gets small amounts of the Evo daily), and I do dole those out as treats for my civvies... but the one that they all beg for, (and will steal from Stormy Blue), is the Evo.

~M

3. PeterDevonMocha

thank you ... The Evo is about twice as much as what we are paying now, and for less of an amount. Of course according to their calculations twix should only be fed 5/8 of a cup a day ... I don't know what she gets fed now because I put a bowl down in front of her at feeding times and she eats till she is done ...then it get's picked up and brought back out the next feeding time.

4. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Evo is 602 calories per cup. You would need to feed approximately 15 calories per pound of IDEAL body weight.
    Let's say that the IDEAL body weight is 10lbs for Twix. That is 150 calories - 1/4 of a cup per day.
    The bags ALWAYS say to feed more than kitty really needs because the mfg wants you to buy more food.
    Evo is so high in calories, that feeding MORE than the cat actually needs will get your cat fat fast.

Stormy Blue gets about 1/8 cup of Evo on top of his canned Evo per day. The only reason he gets the Evo kibble is because he cannot/will not eat enough of the canned to keep the proper weight on him. He only eats about 3oz pf canned per day no matter what I do. So he gets his tiny bit of Evo kibble and maintains the 6.5lbs weight that is appropriate for him.

~M

5. PeterDevonMocha

mary, thank you for explaining that. Twix went to the vet yesterday and she weighed in at 13.6LBS to which I said, she's so tiny and then the vet instantly corrected me and said, she is not tiny she is fat. But she's the smallest cat we have ever had so to me, she IS tiny! But I am sure her ideal body weight is closer around 11 pounds or so, so we are obviously overfeeding her.

6. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

dry cat food...do not just consider carb levels

For all of the newbies here who might be reading this thread....please understand that you must consider much more than the carb level when discussing the issue of dry food. Just because a dry food is low in carbs, this does not mean that it is a healthy diet to feed to your cat. I do understand the issue of added calories but newbies often do not understand the VERY important issue of WATER.

Feeding a dry food can wreak havoc on the urinary tract system.

In honor of Opie who suffered tremendously from being fed a dry food diet, please see my Feline Urinary Tract Health page below.

7. PeterDevonMocha

Yes, I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking that dry food is good for a cat just because they have low carb count, unfortunately twix does not do well on wet cat food (we tried that all last year without success) so now we are trying to find the best low carb dry cat food for her. She is always supplied with fresh running water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.