Dry Cat Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Giomax, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giomax

Giomax Member

What is the nicest high protein/low carb dry cat food out there? I feed my kitties dry and canned throughout the day and really need to ditch the Purina Naturals because it just seems to be raising my boy's sugar way too high. I know all canned is best, but would like to keep with both.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

3. Hogan

Hogan Member

4. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

I've never tried it but some people find that Young Again brings on gastro-intestinal distress.

Dr Elsey's dry food is also available directly from their web site.

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I vote for Dr Elsey's.

6. ReaAnn & Big Hoss

ReaAnn & Big Hoss Member

I'm an absolute believer in Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein Chicken is 4% carbs. All three of my cats love it. I test often and it doesn't raise my sugar-boy's blood glucose any more than his canned low carb food does. As soon as I switched him from Glycobalance to Dr. Elsey's, his numbers started to come down and we're almost in remission now.

7. Giomax

Giomax Member

I couldn't find Elsey's at any of the pet stores so I bought a bag of Instinct Ultimate Protein. Crude protein is 47%, not a lot of fillers and it's grain free. How do you know the carbs content?

Edit: Ugh, apparently it's 12% carbs. Better than the 33% in the food I'm feeding him now though!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You can order Dr. Elsey's from that Chewy.com link I gave you in post #2.

9. Giomax

Giomax Member

I needed something today. I just started home testing and the food I'm feeding my cat was raising his BG crazy amounts. His reading was in the 300s 5 hrs post-shot (4 units) with canned food and in the 500s 5 hrs post-shot (4 units) with the dry food. I'm going to start switching over immediately.

10. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

What you got is probably as good as you could've done at the store. Dr Elsey's you'll need to buy online, at their site or chewy.com. In any event, see if you can start tilting the balance more towards wet food.

11. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Giomax likes this.
  12. Giomax

Giomax Member

13. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

If you buy the Dr. Elsey's dry, be sure you order the chicken and not the salmon. I was looking at the carb numbers on their website and the chicken checks in below 5% while the salmon is a tad under 10%. The salmon is better than most dry you buy from the store but the chicken is even better.

14. Giomax

Giomax Member

Plot twist: they don't like the new expensive food! Ugh! Max spits it right back out. There isn't a lot of smell to it so I'm guessing there's not much flavor. I was wondering why the brand made "food toppers" -- little treat-like things to go on top of the food. Because cats won't eat it otherwise!

15. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Take it back! Maybe they would like Dr Elseys' Chicken.

16. Giomax

Giomax Member

I don't believe it's eligible for return. I could try ordering some of Dr. Elsey's. Or I could try topping it with the turkey I have in my freezer. I cooked and froze a whole plain turkey and have like 8 bags of it left, haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.