Dry Food Suggestions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ashley O Waterhouse, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashley O Waterhouse

Ashley O Waterhouse New Member

Hello Everyone, I'm asking for a friend with 1 cat that is diabetic. She has 4 cats total and does not have the funds to feed them all wet food. She is currently feeding her diabetic cat wet food during feedings but she allows her other cats to free feed. So we're trying to find a dry food that isn't horrible and is the same brand to affordable wet food so on the chances that her diabetic eats from the kibble bowl it won't throw off her numbers horribly. Currently, she is feeding special kitty indoor kibble and Friskies flaked tuna & Egg wet food.

Thanks for the advice :)

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The only low carb dry foods are not cheap. Young Again Zero and Zero Mature have only trace carbs but have been known to cause runny poop for some cats. You have to buy those from the company's website: https://www.youngagainpetfood.com
    Dr Elsey's Clean Protein is almost 5% carbs. You can buy it at Chewy.com.

3. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Hi. I have 4 cats, 1 is diabetic. I use Dr Elsey's Clean Protein Chicken dry kibble. My diabetic cat does not have access to it; he is strictly fed canned Friskies Pate. Unfortunately, none of the cats liked Dr Elsey's canned food. Yes it is very expensive but it seems to last a long time. The 6.6 pound bag lasts about 5 weeks or longer. I suspect the cats do not eat as much because of the high quality ingredients. High level of fat and protein fills them up better. Their coats look good and weights are stable. Good, non stinky poops daily. The 3 non diabetic cats also get 1/3 can Friskies Pate daily for the extra water.

May I suggest she switch to Friskies Classic Pate. The one she is feeding has soy flour and wheat gluten which can increase carb count. Avoid those ingredients.

4. Harley Baby & Michele

5. JeanW

JeanW Member

This is high quality dry food and does not contain wheat or grains - Nature's Logic Dry Food - too many carbs for a diabetic cat though.

6. Harley Baby & Michele

This looks to be inexpensive and Possibly lower carb. The only questionable ingredient I see is Wheat Middlings; no clue what that is! Unfortunately, only the tuna product shows a list of ingredients. Your friend may want to email Special Kitty and ask for the carbohydrate count of their Pate wet foods.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Special-...at-Food-Variety-Pack-13-oz-12-Count/183095593

May I also suggest she/you calculate the cost of feeding canned to ALL the cats vs using dry Kibble from Dr Elsey.

This is what I use (below). It is unfortunate that it includes rice but the carb count is still low. So your Special Kitty canned maybe OK. Best bet is to question the manufacturer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Purina-F...Cat-Food-Variety-Pack-32-5-5-oz-Cans/39263624

7. Harley Baby & Michele

Leah likes this.
  8. Harley Baby & Michele

9. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

I tried so many dry foods with Lilly and really paid attention to the carbs. Her BG levels did not become under control until I finally switched her to either Friskies Classic Pate or Tiki Cat - the ones with the lowest of zero carbs. Now, she is really doing well. I didn't have success with dry food even though I tried about 8 different kinds.

Harley Baby & Michele likes this.
  10. JeanW

JeanW Member

Every Cat is Different - ECID - my kitty didn't do well at all on zero carb food - yours may - but some cats need 2 or 3 or 4% carbs to do better. Again, your experience may be different.

11. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

Yes, of course. And Lilly doesn't eat only the zero carb Tiki Cat, she also has the Friskies Pate which usually has 5 or less depending on the one. So she gets some carbs for sure. She just never did well on the dry foods. I see that there are some that have very low carbs though.

12. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

The kind she is feeding is listed on the food chart as 6% carbs which is acceptable for our diabetic kitty's. I feed the pates as well but my boy much prefers the flaked/roasted/chunky which all have a good variety and are under 10% carbs. Actually that's all I bought this week because he was starting to turn his nose up to all the pates.

13. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Dry Food Dr Elsey--IMHO best dry on the market

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.