Dry Skin Treatment

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marciegee, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

Hello all!

I'm curious if anyone has treated their kitties for dry skin. Moby has been doing pretty well but the month of July brought some unexpected, higher numbers that we've just recently gotten under control. He gets brushed 2-3 times a week when he lets me and I've noticed that his skin has recently gotten much drier than normal. I see dandruff when I brush him, especially on the back third of his body. I was poking around and reading that diabetes can cause drier skin, which makes sense. He isn't itchier than normal, so that's positive. We do use a topical flea treatment but have used the same one for six months and only now am I seeing the skin flakes. (I believe it's the Tritek? or something? It has a science fiction-esque name.)

If anyone here has treated their kitty's dry skin, is there a favorite shampoo that's worked? Or any other tips? Moby has taken omega 3 supplements for his joints in the past, but he started going on hunger strikes when we added it to his food, and had to stop. Brat!

2. Louellen

Louellen Member

I'm sorry that no one has answered your post here. :(

I have a similar problem with Morrigan with the "dandruff", dry flaky skin. Our vet just shaved her down and we're able to wipe off the dandruff with a damp paper towel/cloth now.

As for the flaking...apparently the Omega 3 oils are good but, as you've said...they won't always take them and might turn them off of their food. Have you tried a vet formulation? I haven't gotten Morrigan onto anything yet either as she has bowel issues that are driving me to near insanity and I've had to go back to m/d kibble until we can figure out what caused it and let it all settle down. But, I do believe that it may be due to the diabetes and lack of nutrition getting into the cells. Their fur will also go "dull" because of it. Once the diabetes is under good control, their coats and skin will clear up as nutrients get into their bodies again. :)

I hope this helps??? :bighug:

Brashworks likes this.
  3. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Coral and Joy are on z/d Hill's wet and dry for Coral, will be transitioning her to all wet and Joy is on dry until I can find food that doesn't affect their skin issues. Coral is showing the effects of the diabetes in her skin so I am also looking for some solutions as well but need to take care of things one item at a time. Right now trying to get her regulated.

I went on this site http://cats.lovetoknow.com/Dry_Skin_Cat to get some basic information. They are recommending Omega 3's, fish oil and salmon. Does anyone know anything about https://www.vetionx.com/ the product Dia-IonX?

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you can find peer-reviewed research in veterinary journals which support it, you might try it.

5. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Mitz has dandruff that comes and goes, too. It has gotten much better since she's been better regulated but never goes away completely. She doesn't like salmon oil so I'm trying a little coconut oil (like 3 drops) mixed into one of her meals. So far she's not minding it. It's only been a few days so probably too soon to tell. I might try increasing to 4 or 5 drops to see what she'll tolerate. If the coconut oil doesn't help, I might try the Nordic Naturals fish oil that someone here recommended.
    Good luck with Moby!
    Joan

6. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

I've become a big believer in probiotics / digestive enzymes recently. As soon as I gave them to Marshmallow, within two days her fur got soft and silky. They're supposed to help in a couple of ways: help the kitty hold on to more nutrition from their food, and help with constipation or diarrhea (not that your kitties necessarily have that problem but Marshmallow did). I'm using Animal Essentials Plant Enzymes and Probiotics. You can get them on Amazon or Chewy.com.

My vet had recommended Fortiflora but that did nothing for her. From what I've seen on this board, it doesn't work for a lot of kitties. But I'm now a total believer in the Animal Essentials stuff.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

P.S. It's a powder that you can mix into wet food (1/8 tsp twice daily). Marshmallow won't eat wet food so I mix it into pumpkin puree and give her that every night, so she only gets it once a day, for a total of 1/8 tsp all day.

8. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

I like coconut oil. My dogs both were itching a lot due to dry skin. I give them one tablespoon two times a day. Within a few weeks, no more itching. You can also give coconut oil to cats in which I have before...same results. You start off with 1/4 teaspoon and gradually get to 1 tsp. My cats and dogs love to eat it in there food. Also, you can massage it in externally too. I wish I knew how many carbs are in it though. I don't use it all the time, but when I did, I don't recall it affecting the numbers. Here is one of the many links that outline the benefit of coconut oil. http://wellnessmama.com/13700/benefits-coconut-oil-pets/

9. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

Hi everyone, I so appreciate all your suggestions and wisdom! I've read everyone's wonderful comments (and it's nice to know I'm not alone in trying to holistically solve this issue) and I think I'm going to try the coconut oil first just because I have it in my house already and see how it goes. If not, my fancy critter food market down the street does carry the Animal Essentials, so that's definitely still on the table!

And we'll leave the oatmeal bath as a last resort because... bleeeeeeh. ;)

10. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Cindi if you are using 100% coconut oil (I have organic cold pressed) then it has 0% carbs. It's all fat. And delicious for making popcorn! I also give it to my dog. The oil, not the popcorn :rolleyes:

granadilla likes this.
  11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Just a note: the feline is quite capable of taking either a protein or a fat, breaking it down, and creating glucose as needed. Humans can do this, too.

12. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Thanks Brashworks for letting me know how many carbs there are...that makes me feel much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.