Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Just wondering what you all did for your cats with dry skin.

Eeyore has always had really bad dry skin - it itches him to the point where he'll chew on it. Vet check showed nothing of any significance, but he'll chew/nibble at the base of his tail until there are wee scabbies. I pick them off and put some of my lotion on it, and it seems to relieve him, but I don't like using my lotion because it's probably not "safe" for cats. It doesn't seem to be an issue with him, but I'm just cautious. Vet offered some corticosteroid stuff, but I turned it down...it's just not that bad.

So what do you guys use for dry itchies with your fuzzbutts? Like I said, it's not bad at all...I just know it bothers him a bit, and would like to bring him some relief if possible.

Best-
    Michele

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

3. Seattlebrian

Seattlebrian Member

Podo had really bad dry skin for quite a while, tuna packed in oil seemed to help a bunch.

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Onyx had bad dry skin when I first got him, I would pierce a vitamin E and rub the oil in. Made the skin better and he smelled nice as well.

Mel & Muse (GA)

5. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Vet recommended Omega-3 Fatty acids.

I get Fish Oil Capsules from Costco (their Kirkland brand) and cut the
    tip off once per day. Squeeze the contents onto the canned food and mix in a little bit.

After about 2 weeks of this, Pauline's dry flaky skin is starting to improve a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.