Duck & Pea Pill Pockets Being Discontinued

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PumpkinsMom, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

Yesterday I was in my local pet store and saw that they had a "DISCO" sticker on the Roasted Duck & Pea Pill Pockets by Greenies. I spoke to the store manager and he confirmed that Greenies is discontinuing this flavor in both dog and cat sizes.

Pill Pockets are a vital part of Pumpkin's and Charlie's day. The other Pill Pocket flavors are all sugar based and as Pumpkin is not well regulated, having sugar-free Pill Pockets is very important. This flavor is also the only flavor that my highly allergic to everything cat, Adah, can eat.

Even if your cat does not use Pill Pockets, please call Greenies and tell them how important it is to have this flavor available for diabetic cats and dogs. Their number is 1.866.473.3643.

2. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Noooooo! I can't believe this. The other two flavors are full of wheat flour and corn syrup. I just sent them an email, and I would urge everyone to call or write and ask them to release another grain free formula of pill pockets to replace these ones. Even if you've never used them, if you own a diabetic cat, chances are that you will need them some day. The cats who have diabetes, or pancreatitis, or IBD, or allergies all need to be given pills at some point, too. Perhaps if they marketed them a bit differently, people would buy them more. As more and more vets and owners become educated in feline nutrition, their sales of this product can only go up!

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I just emailed them to let them know what I thought. Just give them what they want.... they want to know what you think!
    http://www.greenies.com/about/contact.aspx

No problem; I let them know about all the pet owners who will no longer be buying the only product they had that was decent for diabetics.

4. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I sent them a comment also. I was very upset to hear this. Thank you for posting.

5. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so upset!! Simon loves the duck and pea pill pockets and it does not cause his bg to go higher. I just e-mailed them a comment. Thanks so much for alerting us to this information.

6. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

I've never had to use them (anit-jinx) but I send them an email anyway.
    I also posted on their FB page.

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I sent in my comments. I hope they hear from a lot of people.

Ella

8. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

At least one other person had posted on FB before I did.

9. Julia & Bandit (GA)

I posted on their FB, too.

10. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

I posted on their FB earlier and they replied promptly with basically a long note that said "call customer service."

I am glad that other people are posting on FB as well and calling and emailing.

Right now, I have hoarded enough PP over the weekend for 190 days.

11. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Bandit doesn't need any at the moment but I now feel the need to hoard! Does anyone know how long they are good for unopened?

12. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

Everything I could find expires in October or November 2012 so not very long.

13. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Arghhh. I guess it's back to cheese and tuna then. Of course Greenies would have to get rid of their ONE healthy treat for cats. So frustrating!

14. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I e mailed as well ..

15. Julia & Bandit (GA)

I just got a response:

Dear Julia:

Thank you for contacting THE NUTRO COMPANY. We appreciate your feedback and the time you took out of your day to contact us.

We have discontinued production of the Greenies Feline Duck & Green Pea Pill Pockets, but we are not discontinuing the Canine version of these. You can use the canine version for your cat, if he is willing to eat them, as they have a smoky flavor.

So I checked out the ingredients. Here's the canine:
    And the Feline:
    So they look like they are the same--but I still think it's a bit ridiculous that the only healthy treat for cats that they make is now only a DOG treat!

16. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Interesting. I emailed them as well, but did not mention that it was specifically for a diabetic CAT.
    The response:

Dear MJ:

Thank you for contacting THE NUTRO COMPANY. We appreciate your feedback and the time you took out of your day to contact us.

We are thrilled to know that your pet enjoyed GreeniesĀ® Pill PocketsĀ® Duck & Pea Formula. for Cats. Although this product has gained a loyal following among certain consumers, it has not gained wide acceptance across the American marketplace and has been discontinued. Please be assured that your comments will be shared with our Marketing Staff.

THE NUTRO COMPANY is committed to developing quality products which meet your pet's nutritional needs. Your confidence in our products and continued goodwill are very important to us. Please give us a call at 1-866-GREENIES, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Central Standard time if you would like additional information.

Sincerely,
    THE NUTRO COMPANY
    Consumer Relations - Corporate Affairs
    1-866-GREENIES

17. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Ah, and here is the one I received -
    Dear Anne:

Thank you for contacting THE NUTRO COMPANY. We appreciate your feedback and the time you took out of your day to contact us. Due to low demand, the feline Greenies Duck & Pea Low Allergen Pill Pockets are no longer being manufactured. The canine Greenies Duck & Pea Low Allergen Pill Pockets will still be available. We apologize for any inconvenience.

THE NUTRO COMPANY is committed to developing quality products which meet your pet's nutritional needs. Your confidence in our products and continued goodwill are very important to us. Please give us a call at 1-866-GREENIES, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Central Standard time if you would like additional information.

Sincerely,

Diana T.
    THE NUTRO COMPANY
    Consumer Relations - Corporate Affairs
    1-866-GREENIES

I remember reading somewhere here months ago that the canine pill pockets were the same except larger in size, so actually cheaper to buy! We've been alternating using the feline and canine ones without seeing any change in Zener's BG values.

18. Lori&Scout

Lori&Scout Member

I wrote them as well. Gosh I wonder why there is not higher demand?? I've never SEEN the duck and pea version in the store and wasn't aware it existed. I have a friend whose cat is on duck and pea cat food but he still pills him every day with a normal pill pocket.

I pointed out in my email that maybe they should change their marketing strategy to focus on those of us who need to give duck and pea rather than the other varieties... like advertising here and on other forums.

Lori

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.