Duke 6/5

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Bone Daddy, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

AMPS 235 1.5 u 7:00 Am
    syringe fed 3 oz wellness kitten food

spreadsheet updated.

Duke looks good this morning. He was up and walking around.
    Followed me into the kitchen meowing for food.
    Ate a few small crunchies.
    Smelled, licked but didn't eat his wet.
    Hopefully he's getting ready to eat.

It's either back to bed or cut the lawn hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

woohoo! What a great preshot #! Keep em coming Duke! :RAHCAT

3. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

AM + 4 = 501

AM + 4 = 501

What happened?

Did I miss? There was no wet fur or smell.

?????????????

Have to see what + 6 holds for us.

BD

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WOW, that is odd confused_cat I would think I must have missed too if I saw that....
    sometimes the kittie wants to confuse us just for fun I think.

5. Kelly & Oscar

Hmmm.. interesting. I think kitties do that sometimes so we don't get too relaxed :YMSIGH:

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know he has to eat whatever he'll eat but do you think the crunchies did that?
    after all we always do call it the 'forbidden food' for a reason and it does take longer than wet to show up in the blood (slower digestion) why it's not great for treating a hypo.

7. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

1) Whenever I get an odd reading, I ALWAYS retest immediately to verify it. You never get another chance to recheck it.....

2) that would probably seem too fast to be a hypo/rebound if you injected subQ, BUT it didn't sound like he ate when you shot, which is not ideal and would make him more susceptible.

3) If you accidentally got a muscle or blood vessel, it could have hit his system like a brick wall and then crash/zoom. Do you always retract the plunger to check for blood before you inject?

4) friendly reminder about the keto styx- very important- could save his life one day. nothing to mess around with.

5) does he ever jump on the counter and sneak human or dry dog food? If that happened to me, that would be my first suspicion.

8. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

I doubt its b/c hypo action. Just breathe and know that you will have days like this. ohmygod_smile I'd log it down about feeding the crunchies and hold off of them awhile. Try to figure out what you did differently and go from there. He was showing good progress, so I am sure you will get him back in no time. ;-) My only advice is to log EVERYTHING you do, cause although you may say you'll remember.. the days will start blending into one another and you'll be second guessing yourself.

Hugs to Duke!

9. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

PMPS = 546

AM + 6 = 457

PMPS = 546

Spreadsheet updated.

Duke is active, talking and ate well enough on his own before his shot that I did not syringe feed.

AM + 7 he expressed interest in food (asked to be fed) when we walked in the kitchen. He didn't take cooked turkey or wet, but he did eat some of the Wellness Core grain free/low carb dry.

PM after BG I was ready to syringe feed. First offered some turkey which he ate a few pieces. Offered some Core which he also ate. Then he ate about 1.5 oz wet w/water. No need to syringe feed.

I'm anxious to see what tonight's going to look like.

Thanks for the comments. We do not pull back and check for blood, but will.

Actually, I wish Duke was jumping up on the counter and eating people food :)

The crunchies (Whiskas Temptations are just one or two pieces. These things are the first things he will eat again in his own. I can't imagine that would do it?

With unexpected results, I stick myself to check out meter. It's fine.

Have keto strips. Have not used yet.

Duke did get food before his AM shot. I've been timing his feedings with his shots.

I did notice that the insulin is settling out now. It is milky on the bottom and clear on top when we take it from the fridge. We gently roll before we load the syringe, but neither of us remember seeing this before. Is this normal. Is anything normal in this strange place we now live in?

I keep waiting for the Cheshire Cat to pop up and say "Don't worry Bone Daddy, it's all cool. It's just a bad dream. It'll go away when you wake up".

PS I decided to cut the lawn. We live in typical ex farm field suburbia. We have quite a few bunnies in the neighborhood (probably because the tremendous amount of development in the last 2 years drove away the coyotes we don't see anymore). I keep part of my backyard in a "returned to nature" state and found we have a nice crop of baby bunnies again this year. Can't beat baby bunnies for a much needed warm and fuzzy moment. That helped assuage some of today's concerns. Probably also explains why Duke was yowling at the back window the other night. He's our guard cat.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just went and checked out my pzi and it's not milky on bottom, clear on top. I know vetsulin is like that...i do use pzi vet idexx so maybe pzi pro zinc (that's what your on?) is different. is there an expiration on it?

11. Kelly & Oscar

I have heard that prozinc can do that sometimes, but I can't for the life of me find where I read that! :YMSIGH: I think the main thing is to gently roll it for 30-60 seconds to mix it properly (what manufacturer's website says) and look out for any floaties. It would be good to check the expiration regardless.

12. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

I've had the ProZinc go milky on bottom. Just gently roll it. As far as the crunchies. You'd be surprised how it can effect the numbers :shock: If it were me, I'd told off a few days, but if you decide to try again... at least you'll know how it effects Duke's numbers. You could of very well missed the shot too, so hmmm Welcome to the wacky world of FD. ;-) Keeping you guys in my thoughts!

13. Kelly & Oscar

Crunchies.... yes... forgot to add input about that. Every cat processes things different. I just switched my dogs to a high protein, lower carb high quality dry food and Oscar has decided that it smells better than his wet food and will hover for an opening if I don't turn into a line backer with him. The other day he got MAYBE 2 pieces of kibble max and it threw his numbers and preshots way higher than they had been and kept it there for 3 or 4 cycles too. And this is with food that is 20% carbs. Crunchy treats are mostly carbs, unfortunately :cry:

Of course, the fail safe - if Duke isn't eating and it is the only thing that he will eat, then by all means give him anything he will chomp on!

14. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, what a curve ball.

My first suspicion is the crunchies. If they are like kitty M&Ms then yep, even a couple could have him throwing #s like that - plenty of people end up back here after a honeymoon b/c they thought "just a little dry now & then won't hurt". I think once their pancreases are compromised, even a tiny bit of HC must just overload it really easily. You may want to post on Health if you haven't before (or even try searching, I know I've seen the question of LC treats come up before) to get ideas on other things you might be able to tempt him with.

When you syringe feed, does he keep the food down ok & seem fine with it, just won't eat it on his own? If so, I might just make a plan for ongoing syringe feeding rather than waiting/hoping for him to want to eat (just guessing that's where you are, I figure that's where I'd be! nailbite_smile ).

I had to syringe feed one of my civies as a kitten b/c her upper respiratory infection was so bad she wouldn't eat. Once she was doing a little better I asked the vet if I should try to get her to eat and only syringe feed if she wouldn't. The vet said no, just keep force-feeding her so you don't lose progress, (she loved it thankfully, she would sit in my lap and look up at me like a baby bird, almost with her mouth open, waiting) and she'll let you know when she's ready to eat by herself. Some of the best advice I ever got! Of course Duke's reasons for not eating are different that hers so I'm not sure the same advice applies, but I found that really helped me stop worrying about it, and she did take over herself after a couple more days.

Also have you tried hand-feeding, putting a little food in the palm of your hand and seeing if he'll eat it out of your hand? I had never heard of that before, but when one of my civies wouldn't eat after dental work someone here suggested that, and it worked like a charm!

If he'll eat other things w/o any crunchy treats and his #s don't come down, then I'd start brainstorming other possible reasons. Rebound seems unlikely to me given this PS was 50 points higher than last nights and there's no sign of rebound last night, and fur shot seems unlikely if you didn't get that sense at shot time. But you never know.

Hoping you see good #s again by morning!

15. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

PM + 4 = 387

Pm + 4 = 387

Spreadsheet updated.

Thanks again everyone.

Well things look better tonight.
    I have to believe that somehow I failed to deliver the dose.

I can see no real point past academics to do anymore checks tonight.
    The numbers are coming down.

So it's off to bed for me and a little rest for Dukie's ears.

Hoping everyone else is already tucked comfortably in bed.

BD

16. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Prozinc does settle out on the bottom when it sits overnight. I worried about this myself, called the company and even got them to replace a vial for me. It's a bit hard to notice because the label covers so much of the bottle, and it mixes pretty easily when you pick it up. Its fine however. The main things to know about prozinc are:

-do not freeze it
    -protect it from light- (don't set it by a window, etc) keep it in its box

many of us use a thermometer in the fridge next to the insulin to keep it right about 40 degrees.
    good if you can keep it in a spot where it doesn't get knocked around a lot- (avoid the door )
    I always roll it slowly 2-3 times across my kitchen counter before drawing

As for the retest- once in a blue moon you may get a bad test strip

Have you tried Pure Bites 100% dehydrated chicken breast teats for dogs. they sell them a couple places around here. The dog treats are much cheaper than the cat version of the same thing. The freeze dried fish crunched over his food may be enticing, or there is a product called Fortiflora that comes in little packets from your vet. It is a nutritional /intestinal health product and you sprinkle on like salt. Cats usually love it.

Check the ingredients of those crunchies- I wonder if they have corn syrup or molasses like some of the hairball treats- definitely not good for the progress your'e shooting for, and worse than even dry cat food.

17. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

Thank you N and C

We ordered all kinds of recommended, low carb treats. Anxiously awaiting their arrival.

Insulin expires 1/11.

Start new thread.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wow, you know we may have been one of the crunchie failures :shock: tom was otj like 2.5 years and i started giving him crunchies a couple of times a week as a treat (thought we were infallible at that point) now we are back doing the sugar dance :roll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.