Duke's BG 484 to 519 +3

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bone Daddy, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

I hope I'm not crying wolf.

My cat is Duke. I posted an introduction.

We just started home testing and have not done a BG curve yet. I'm going to set up a spreadsheet.
    I'm moving Duke to a 7:00 AM and a 7:00 PM shot rather than always after feeding. The 7:00 AM shot coincides with breakfast. We feed him and his sibs dinner between 5:50 and 6:00 PM.

Here's my concern:

Tuesday:
    PM preshot/prefood number at 5:45 was 365
    was fed about 4 oz wilderness and given 2 units PZI compounded
    9:00 was 285

Today:
    PM 6:00 Duke ate about 5 oz of Core and Wilderness
    7:00 preshot/ 484
    given 2 units PZI compounded
    10:00 was 519

I tested the meter by sticking myself and got a reading of 95 so the meter appears to be fine.

Duke is not acting funny and his appetite is great.
    He is not drinking or hovering over his water bowl.

I will test him AM preshot.

Should we test him again tonight?

Is there something we need to do immeadiately?

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

first, there's nothing you need to do immediately. they didn't get diabetes overnight and it's completely normal to have these high numbers in the beginning. fwiw, most are diagnosed with BG levels over 400 for instance. and remember, high is always better than too low.

as far as testing any more tonight. if you and Duke are up to it, sure. why not. it's data collecting and in a few days it will all mean something. if Duke is not liking the testing or it's late where you are and you need to get to bed, then by all means go to bed.

as far as the climb. it's not really a climb. meters are to have +/- 20% variance and the 519 is definitely within 20% of the 484 sooooooooooo, i would wonder if his body knows yet what to do with the insulin? if there's a chance he got a furshot (aka: missed shot)?

3. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

Thank you for the swift response.
    It's 11:33 PM in the Great State of Texas.

We've had so many bad experiences that we worry about losing Duke all the time.
    Just this past Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning I was syringe feeding Duke. Saturday Pm he started eating on his own and has been going gangbusters ever since.

The shot was good. I felt the injection site and it wasn't wet.

I started a spreadsheet and will get a AM preshot reading.

I hope the link worked in my signature :)

Thank you again

4. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

Duke's numbers

6:00

AMP 462

7:00 Duke received 2 iu PZI compounded.

I had a conversation yesterday at 5:00 PM with our vet tech about changing type of insulin.

Dukes spreadsheet has been updated.

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I cannot access your spreadsheet for some reason?

Anyways, as explained, 485 and 519 are basically the same, and there is a chance of a food spike.

Numbers tell us a lot, and are invaluable, but one day doesn't necessarily mean a thing....you need to look at trends. So note today's occurence but keep on trucking..things may improve over the next few days.

Jen

6. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

I don't think you shared the Spreadsheet...? I think there's a button on the top right where you can share it. You want to make it viewable to everyone.

7. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

Thank you.

Spreadsheet status has been changed to anyone whom has the link.

When I left for work, my wife was feeding Duke and it didn't look like he was eating well. I've been unable to contact my wife to get the whole picture yet.

We've seen this before where he goes from not eating at all to feeding almost ravenously after a series of syringe feedings.

Also, is this an appropriate 911 thread or should I have posted a regular forum post?

Again thank you for everything

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi bonedaddy, still not able to access your spread sheet....sorry. anything eles you can do to make sure we can see it?

9. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

I'm not able to access your spreadsheet either. (Gosh it's been so long since I did one....but I think there is something about "sharing it with anyone" that you have to save.)

We'd really like to see his numbers .....I forgot, did you say you have taken away all the dry food?

As far as the 911, you could go back and remove that icon from your first post. I'm not saying that Duke's health is not important...of course it is, to all of us! However, we like to save the 911 in cases of dire medical emergencies...such as unresponsiveness, or hypo episodes...etc.

Lee

10. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Yeah, I still cannot view it either. Try this:

* Click on "Share" button at top right of the spreadsheet
    * Click "get link to share" on drop down menu
    * Make sure the box is checked "Allow anyone with the link to view"

You can also click "see who has access" from the "Share" button menu and at the bottom of the main window that pops up, your current share setting should be in the light blue box. If you want to change it, click on "change" and it should give you the same option to choose "let people view without signing in"

11. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

I think I have the spreadsheet link working? There is not much data yet.

I am so confused. This morning we gave 3 units as originally instructed by our vet.

Tonight 7:20

PMP 212

Duke ate dinner about an hour earlier.

From what I'm reading, we should have a no shot value.
    This seems to be where it should be, so I'm not going to give him a shot and see what his blood sugar looks like in the morning. Does this sound reasonable?

Could his spike last night be in response to him eating a very big dinner? Should I feed him smaller amounts several times a day? He needs to eat to put weight back on.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey bonedaddy, you originally said his dose was 2U, the 3U confused me.
    the 213 was a shootable # however it would be best to test about 2 hours after his last feeding to get a better idea of a good clean #. I think reducing his dose to 1U would be a good slow and go process....we mostly start that way. you can always go up later. with the wacky #'s you got please consider the slow/go approach.

13. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

Please don't put a lot of weight into my opinion as I am very new to this myself (but I assure you, no one has studied harder in the past week since my Pixie puff was diagnosed last Tuesday), but I'm going to have to agree and say back off that dosage to 1U and see what happens! You seem to be putting a lot of weight on what your vet told you. I felt the same way at first, but had to throw those feelings out the window very rapidly and accept the fact that my vet (albeit a really great guy who seems to genuinely care about animals and is good at what he does) just was not up to date at all on feline diabetes (probably due to the fact that it's not as common as other things).

The fact that your vet prescribed vetsulin also worries me that he may not be very accurate with proper treatment protocols. ProZinc seems to be what a lot of vets are prescribing here lately, and that's not a terrible thing but from what I've learned thus far I think Lantus and Levemir are superior when it comes to promoting a state of remission. Vetsulin (as others have mentioned) has been recalled. I looked it up for you, and the recall was back in November 2009.

My (newbie) opinion is take what your vet says (unless you switch to one more knowledgeable about this specific condition) with a small grain of salt.

Back your dose off to 1 unit and go back to the drawing board with BG numbers.

Once again, I am new also. Just wanting you to know there are others like you who are learning this as they go and wanted to share my opinion based on what I've read (and I have read a LOT in the past week) so far.

-Mike 'n' Pixie

14. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

5/28 PMP

Thank you for evryone's input.

This morning Dukes number:

AMP 338

He was bright eyed and energetic and appears to be hungry.

I am going to make an appointment to see our new vet to talk about insulin options and if there is a better insulin for Duke to try. This morning I am going to keep Duke at 2 iu. I've spoken to and solicited the advice of many with a variety of experience and training. General consensus is to stick with the 2 iu foro now and watch the numbers and Duke's behavior. I feel comfortable doing this. I'll take a reading when I get home. I'll keep things posted.

Friday I would I would have been syringe feeding Duke his breakfast, dinner and late evening you need to eat more Duke meal. It's amazing how well he is doing. And I'll say this a million times, but he does much better at home when my wife is there to comfort him.

Thanks again for everything and the opportunity to consider many options based on your collective knowledge and experience.

15. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Most vets get about two hours of training in treatment of diabetes - covering ALL (well - typical) animal species.

16. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

:thumbup Great job on the spreadsheet! I'm glad Duke is feeling better. Now, collecting numbers is good. There are SO many people here who have dealt with this disease from their own personal experience. Please don't be afraid to listen to us/them.

Did you say he is still eating some dry food? The food part is a big part of treating diabetes.

17. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

No dry. About a month ago, we started using the Core Dry since it was high in protein with no grains, art. color. After reading the board I carefully read the label and saw it had potato starch in it so we nixed it about 2 weeks ago.

The only other dry he gets is one or two Natural Temptation treats with his shot. I'm going to boil some turkey tonight to treat with instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.