Dx over a month now new 174bg just now

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather Pavey, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather Pavey

Heather Pavey New Member

Hi, I have a 13 yr old Abyssinian "Vader" 12# how's BG was in the 400 at dx. All other values wnl. We started at 1u bid and are now at 2.5 bid on Lantius.

I have threes it other kitties who have all free feed dry and canned. My one girl is a dry food junkie. Last night I started to dry translation (weaning). I picked up all the dry food and only offered when canned food feeding the the dry junkie.

Vader has always ran number mid 300 to high 4oo's. Last curve on Friday he was mid to high 300's, throughout the day, I had just increased him 72 hours prior from 2u to 2.5u.
    This am his pre-stick was 174 --- very new, but had no access to dry food for 12 hours. I have to leave for work and be gone for 10 hours today... seeking advise since this is a new number and I adjusted food access... full 2.5u or ...?

Thanks you -:)
    Heather and Vader

2. Heather Pavey

Heather Pavey New Member

My apologies I should have listed his food
    Canned Purina DM, last night mixed a can of FF
    Access to dry as of yesterday am: Purina DM and Taste of the Wild

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

We normally don't recommend shooting at a reading under 200 for new diabetics unless of course there is a history of ketones or DKA. Changing food to wet from dry can have a profound effect on BG in some cats so I definitely would NOT give the 2.5u again unless you can monitor through the cycle. You could give a "chicken shot" of half or 1u but the decision is up to you and if there is no history of ketones or DKA, I'd be inclined to just skip personally.

4. Heather Pavey

Heather Pavey New Member

Ok, thank you for the advise, very much appreciated :)
    I did not give insulin and checked 1 hour after food and his BG is 255.

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

This is the welcome mat and I forgot my manners. :oops: So Welcome to you and Vader to FDMB. Questions such as yours should be handled in the Health Forum so for any future questions, please post HERE. We have lots of tips and tricks to help you out so please come join us over in Health as you make the transition from dry to wet food for Vader. You are on the right track and we'd love to help anyway we can. :D

6. Heather Pavey

Heather Pavey New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.