Ear bruising

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ziggymom, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggymom

Ziggymom Member

I was concerned that bruising on Ziggy's ear could be the cause of getting just small amount of blood at testing time. It's not enough to get on the teststrip. There's just very little blood to work with. Using rice sock, and massage, only one good test today . His ear looks awful. I have problems with other ear, it's very dark. My eyesight doesn't help. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

A little Neosporin with pain relief can help heal those ears quicker....also, making sure you hold pressure on the ear after poking will help reduce bruising.

Another option you might want to consider is a different meter. The Prime, while more affordable, just isn't a great meter, especially for new kitties.

A meter like the Glucocard01 Sensor from ADW takes the tiniest sample size and the strip "sucks up" the blood for you.

3. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

The neosporin works wonders!

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Ledum is great for healing inner hematoma and bruising. Crush 2 pellets & mix in with 1 Tablespoon of purified water. Apply a drop or two on the bruised ear a few times a day. Takes only a few days to heal. I apply a drop after each test once I spot hematoma.

Cloud 9 is awesome for scratches or small wounds.Apply on to the ear once or twice a day. Can be used daily.

Both work wonders for my cat.
    @Ziggymom

5. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

My Prime meter tested against the Vets then blood sent to Lab showed my Prime meter more accurate than the Vet animal meter. . . . Not getting enough blood could be too small a lancet. I am using a #30.

6. Ziggymom

Ziggymom Member

I went from a micro fine Lancet to a 26. Seemed to help for about a day, then I had the same problem. This a.m. I used the Neosporin and did better. Actually was able to get enough to do a test. I'm still terribly inconsistent with getting testing done. Frustrated but determined!

7. Ziggymom

Ziggymom Member

Tried it this morning and did much better. Thanks! Hopefully my luck will continue .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.