Ear Drops = Spike?? Help!

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Smokey, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Member

Hi everyone! I posted this on the main health page and also wanted to post here since my kitty is OTJ!

My Smokey has been OTJ for 6 months now! He was placed on Mometamax ear drops for Yeast inside his ears about 9 days ago (for 10 days). His blood always runs around 65-70 throughout the day. When I tested him 9 days into treatment, he tested at 188!

My vet tells me it is just from stress of the drops being placed in his ears but it has been 2 days since his last treatment and he tested 168 today. This is double than any other score he's ever gotten!!

Can anyone tell me if this medication could have an effect on blood glucose? If so, how long until his numbers should return to normal?

nailbite_smile

Thanks!!
    Denne' & Smokey - Florida

2. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

I am sorry I missed this... not that I would have been able to give information. What did you find out?

This doesn't sound like treatment stress to me. I'm thinking good thoughts.

3. Smokey

Smokey Member

Thanks! Good to talk to you again Kathy and Kitty!

I really have not found out anything...I tested him again 4 days ago and he tested 167. I know that it seems as though that would be an ideal number for some kitties but, I'm worried because for my Smokey, that is very almost triple what he usually is! I have never had a problem testing every few days, but I did notice this time when went to grab him, he ran from me for the first time ever! That lead me to believe (maybe a little) that he really did hate the drops.

With very hard work, I got him down from 20lbs to 14 lbs and that put him into OTJ status 6 months ago, so I'm sure you can imagine my heartache!

I'm waiting another few days to test him again, I just don't know what to do or what is going on!

4. Kathy and Kitty

HI! :mrgreen:

DId you get any good answers on the health forum? I agree, I would be concerned about this increase. My thoughts would be, either there's something in the medicine -- doubtful, because it isn't ingested, it's topical -- or he has something besides yeast. I don't know the full background, what kinds of tests you ran, and how the vet determined it was yeast.

I'd want to get more medical information here. Keep us posted, okay?

5. Smokey

Smokey Member

I tested him last night and he was up to 195. He is drinking so much water compared to normal and he is peeing often and large amounts in the litterbox (where usually he only pees once a day).

I called the vet today with my concerns and he stated that he cannot put him back on insulin until he goes above 350. In the meantime, he recommends that we do a urinalysis to test for a UTI and blood work tomorrow (which he has to get with the needle since I'm unable to get it).

I know something is just not right and when I got home today, his body tempature feels hot (which would make sense as to why his fur looks matted) so maybe a temperature too!

I just hope the stress of the ear drops did not make my baby's diabetes come back! I'll never stop blamming myself for causing this to happen to him! :cry:

6. Kathy and Kitty

Updates? Would love to know how he is doing.

7. Kathy and Kitty

First of all, with all due respect, I disagree with your vet. You should post this in LL. You would see how many kitties are nudged back into OTJ if their backward slide is stopped quickly. Sometimes, a few days or weeks is all it takes.

Second, I do hope you get the tests. It does sound like there might be something medical going on.

Last, NO GUILT. You are doing everything that you as a loving bean know how to do. We're not vets, and even the vets get it wrong sometimes. Keep at it. Post in Health, and post in LL.

HUGS!

8. Smokey

Smokey Member

Just got home from the vet. His blood spot check was 363 and I had them test my meter too (to see how far off we were), which tested 239. His Blood Panel revealed 477 (which he says is always a little high). He thinks the 363 is a pretty good estimate for where Smokey is right now. THANK GOD I learned and read the signs of my kitty!

Needless to say, I can't say we are OTJ anymore. After 7 months of no pokes, it's all starting again! nailbite_smile

When Smokey was on insulin for 2 years, he was on Vetsulin so the vet is switching him to Lantus now. He says that Lantus is quite expensive but that it works very well in cats and also gives a bigger success rate for another remission. Oh gosh! Now, I can't log into the honeymooners board anymore!! :(

He would like me to start him on 1 unit twice a day and then do a 12 hour post injection test in a couple weeks to see where he is at.

He also tested in the, "Grey" area for Hyperthyroid Disease which I guess is another ball game. He thinks that the high BS may have affected that score so we will re-test that once the BS evens out a bit.

I am shocked that my meter was off by 125 points! I will need some suggestions on another meter to purchase! I was using the Walgreens True Test and even used the, "Test blood" every week and was well within the range of a, "True Result". :eek:

As you can imagine, my head is spinning and I can't believe I'm back at this point again! I feel like all of my hard work getting him from 20lbs to 14lbs did nothing. The vet also said that he weighted 11.8 today...so I guess the scale in my house is wrong too! :roll:

9. Kathy and Kitty

Here's the bright side: You are now ready to treat Smokey's recurrence, with an excellent insulin -- and the BEST help in the world, right here on FDMB. So go get yourself a Lantus Land condo, and post all of this, with a link to your previous condos.

We will keep your Honeymooners condo space warm for you!!

See you in LL. :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.