Ear Hematoma

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meya14, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

I noticed the other day that Max had some bubbled/rippled skin on the top of his left ear. When I looked through with a light, he appears to have a dime sized pocket of blood. I haven't taken blood from this ear in a while, so I assume that he must have scratched it (I need to cut his nails, er talons). It's not swollen, just very small "bubbles" on his skin over the hematoma.

How long does this take to heal and is there anything to speed it up/prevent it from getting worse?

2. Louellen

Louellen Member

Hmmmm....you might want to put a warm wash cloth/piece of gauze over it then apply some Polysporin or whatever antibiotic ointment over it 3 times/day until it goes down....just to be sure that there's not any infection setting in???
    If it's not going down, you might need a prescription cream from your vet.
    Not sure how long it would take but, a "dime size" is fairly large an an area (to me anyways) on a cat's small ear.
    No ticks, right?

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It can take weeks. My Gray Ghost had One. I has the vet suture the ear and bandage it. The problem is that if the cats shakes it head the hematoma can get bigger

4. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

No ticks, he's indoor only. At this point, I just monitor? The skin doesn't appear separated due to the blood except for some very small areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.