Ear problems again

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jill and Remi, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

So my all white civie, Abigail, has been having ongoing ear problems. If it isn't one thing it is another. First her ears were full of dirt/wax on the inside. She had them flushed over a month ago. Then she has been battling black crusties on the outsides of them. The outsides seem to be better. I have resorted to cleaning them with a warm wash cloth, no soap. Still has a few crusties but much better. I am wondering...could all of this be because of allergies?
    Would allergies cause these symptoms? How will I know...can they run allergy tests like with humans? Or do they just try to rule stuff out...like take away certain things and reintroduce them to see what triggers it. They only eat poultry, no beef or fish. She has runny eyes and sometimes sneezes, but I do think that is herpes(shelter cat). Only because my other cat, Phoebe, developed a runny eye and sneezes until she had 2 weeks of l-lysine.
    Any input is appreciated. I have been thinking about changing litter brands anyway...any of them good for allergic cats?

2. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi jill

Yes, is the short answer. IIRC, you did not have a biopsy done, right? Did the vet do a skin scraping and fungal test at some point? I forget the whole history.
    A dermatologist could do a skin test. Is there one in your area?

You could also do it that way. The easiest way would be to get a prescription food like rabbit and green pea and feed it exclusively for six weeks. No treats, no table food, etc.

Allergy to litter is less likely becuase she's not ingesting the litter and the skin issue isn't occurring in areas that touch the litter such as her paws. You could try a litter switch -- move to something with a single incredient, like a corn or pine litter, for at least six weeks to check for improvement.

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

No biopsy done yet. I guess that is the next step. I will definitely make sure he does a scraping, at minimum. I somehow doubt there is a dermatologist in my area...probably one in Auburn, AL. If she needs to go to one though, I will get her to one.
    Bad thing is I am not even sure of her history. I have had her less than 2 years and she is about 8. Someone here rescued her but couldn't keep her, they were moving to a no pet place. So I got her(with the help of Cindy and Patches). She came with the uri/herpes and her ears covered in black on the inside and out. They are not ear mites and we have tried so many different treatments, both in and on the ear. I guess after saying that I need to get a biopsy.
    Now to find some rabbit. I hope Petsmart carries it...no Petco here.
    Thanks Jess!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.