Eating problems (still) looking for input

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sharla, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharla

Sharla New Member

Hi from Sharla and Pebbles.
    I do not get on here very often but really struggling and need to see what others have to say.
    Pebbles has both Diabetes and Kidney disease. Our biggest area of concern is her eating. I posted a bit ago how she quit eating her Fancy Feast earlier in October and I can tell you since then it has been a struggle to find anything that she will eat on a consistent basis. She seems to like something for two days and then the next she would rather bury it than eat it. If I try to put anything in her food she will not eat. We have tried whiskas portions in lots of flavours, the tender beef etc. Right now she is eating Whiskas Portions Cuts in Gravy tuna or turkey. The gravy is more a broth. Having said that she only eats what it in the gravy and leaves the rest. She gets about 1/2 cup dry Purina DM a day and does not even eat all that. Have yet to find any jars of baby food. Not sure she would even eat that.
    I am at my wits end. She is doing really well in every other way.
    What do I do?
    I also think she had a minor pee accident yesterday as the floor was wet by her litter box. Like she did not quite make it. Her kidneys were stable in Mid october when we re-tested her.

2. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

The not eating sounds a lot like what Spot does when he's not feeling well. He will start eating a food because its different, but then when it causes an upset tummy, he stops eating it. Have you tried an antacid like Pepcid or anti-nausea med like Cerenia or Zofran? Pepcid you can get over the counter, just make sure its the regular strength, not the max strength or complete kind. You could try 1/4 of a 10mg tablet and see if that helps..?

3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Are there other cats or dogs in the home? Some cats dislike either sharing a water bowl or knowing a dog has been at the water. Noah ate in private, if any other cat came near his food I'd have to move his dish, move the food on the dish, pull his tail and rub his head. It's not scientific but it worked.

4. Sharla

Sharla New Member

No she is my one and only and a stubborn girl at 14.5 years.

5. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

Hi Sharla -- I know EXACTLY what you are going through. Mishka is 17-1/2, dx in January with diabetes, also CKD and NOW pancreatitis. Over the past month, he has been gradually eating less and less and I'm opening more and more cans of cat food just to get him to eat something. He's on Zofran and Cerenia and buprenex for pain, but I don't think they are working as effectively as they were. Mishka has never vomited, but the refusal of food means he is nauseas and he'll eat a food one day and the next not. Today was a chore just to get him to nibble. Maybe Pebbles has pancreatitis?

6. Sharla

Sharla New Member

It is not that she will not eat just does not want Pate. She is eating mostly the broth/gravy from Whiskas Cuts in Gravy. Gone through so many kinds of Pate. She ate a mix of Pate and Dry all her life until Canadian Thanksgiving in October but really was having a hard time of it before then. So thought it was the brand and found her some Blue Buffalo that she ate for a week then nope will just bury it like most of the other Pate's. GOing to buy some Purebite Toppers. Straight tuna etc in water and see if she will eat that along with the other.
    We re-did a bunch of tests in October and her Glucose was up so we increased insulin to 3 units twice day. Vet coming on Sunday and expect we will increase her Insulin again. We shall see..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.