? Eating Sugar Normal Check later or No insulin tonight?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Chrissy66, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

As some of you guys know Candi gave us a scare earlier. Would have never thought her just being diagnosed as a diabetic and having her sugar drop within the first 24 hours.
    It has been 12 hours since her last shot. Sugar looks good at 112. Went ahead with her supper as she kept wanting it but was waiting until her 12 hour window to give her, her insulin while eating.
    Being her sugar is what it is, should I recheck and about how long or no insulin tonight?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

If you’ve already fed her, I would say no shot tonight. Although I don’t know what your earlier scare was? Can you say a little more about that? Was it in a different section of the board?

3. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Djamila I am new so I didn't know to post it here I posted it in the Feline Main Health Board. This morning I gave her regular dose of insulin when really I should have waited. Didn't know as Vet said not to check but we did and it was 125. Gave her 1u and around 1:30 her sugar dropped to 49. We got it back up after giving her some Milk, some of her low Carb Food, and a little honey.

Djamila likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

No shot tonight. I see a 11 on your spreadsheet in the +10 slot. Is the 112 a new reading? It helps us if you update your spreadsheet as soo as you get a new number. :)

Djamila likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Djamila likes this.
  6. Djamila

Ah! Thanks! I was guessing it was something like that from the lime green on the SS. Then, yes, no shot. She can’t go dangerously low without insulin on board, but if you are up for getting a test tonight before bed it could be helpful to see how she’s doing a couple hours after food and w/o a shot.

Good job getting through your first low! And welcome!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Kris it was 111. Will recheck at 9:30.

8. Kris & Teasel

This is why I was confused. If the 112 (or 111 as you clarified) was a test done 12 hours after the AM shot then we'd call it the PM pre shot test and it would go in the +12 slot on your spreadsheet. I know this sounds niggley but when we look at a spreadsheet we pay close attention to when the tests were done because it can influence the advice we give.

Djamila likes this.
  9. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Thanks Kris slowly learning this. Got that changed and looks like her BG is staying down only less that what is was 2 hours ago. BG 90 now.
    What I can't understand if the vet said she was a diabetic and last night after giving her insulin it brought her numbers down but today they have been normal other than
    what happened when I gave her insulin this morning. Is this normal for her to be in the normal range all day?

JanetNJ likes this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

The lower BG after eating is a sign of her pancreas working properly - ie., releasing insulin in response to food. She might be a transient diabetic and able to be controlled with low carb food only.

11. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

So I would just continue to monitor her BG 2 times a day?

12. Djamila

How was she diagnosed? Did the vet do a fructosamine test? or just a quick BG check in the office?

13. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

That I do not know. All I know is they have on her paperwork Glucose.

Last year back in late Sept. we started to notice her peeing alot and drinking up to 2 bowls of water. We took her to the vet and they did a senior panel which showed her BG not fasting was 266. They said that most likely it was due to stress or subclinical Diabetes. The vet left it at that but they did notice her T4 levels were extremely high and was put on Methimazole 5mg and slowly lowered to 1/2mg in the morning and a 1/4 at night. That we have under control and being this is a pill we were feeding her about a can a week. We did change over a good year or so to at least a No Grain Low Glycemic index dry food called Nulo. Then just little over a month ago she developed a Rodent Ulcer (Mouth Ulcer) they checked her sugar before giving her a Depo Steroid Shot and it was in the 300's this time but again dismissed it as being from stress. Oh course that didn't get her mouth well so it was back to the vet again 2 weeks later for another steroid shot and an antibiotic shot which has almost gotten it well. This was on Mar. 16th. They didn't do a blood test on this visit but the vet she saw that day suggested we bring her back in, in a week and have her BG rechecked. I did one check at home and her sugar 2 hours after eating was 318.
    When she went to the vet for a recheck on her sugar on Mar. 22nd the Vet she saw said her number was 507 and she did have sugar in her urine. They still didn't put her on insulin but did think it still may have been from the steroid shots. They wanted to wait a little longer to recheck her. She had her next BG check on April 4th and again her BG was still 507. The vet then said she was a diabetic. I had been doing home testing before then
    Mar. 24th before Breakfast fasting 453
    Mar. 25th 2 hours after lunch 318
    Mar. 26th Morning before eating 424
    Mar. 28th 2 hours after eating 365
    During this time I had cut her dry food down and was giving her a 1/2 can a day of her Nulo Can Food which she eats now. After going over her numbers but this time they didn't test her urine they told me that we could try an all canned food Rx diet and that may help or we could go with insulin. This was on April 4th. Then after reading about if you start your cat on Insulin there is a very good chance that they may go into remission so we decided to start her on insulin 2 days later. They rechecked her BG and it was 385 and they said she was a diabetic and told us to give her 1u of prozinc in the morning when she eats and then 1u in the evening 12 hours later when we fed her and gave her, her thyroid meds.
    By her chart I made as soon as we gave her the first shot before I did I tested and it was 282 then I decided to check before she normally likes to go to bed and her sugar had came down.
    Then this morning it was normal and has been that since she got over me giving her insulin this morning.

14. Djamila

Thank you so much for sharing her history! I was concerned that maybe she just had a stress number at the vet, but it sounds like you and the vet both made sure there were high numbers at home as well. So the last steroid was on 3/16? Are her other health problems resolved now? It could be the diabetes was just transitory because of the other issues and the steroid shot. Or it could be that she's just staying low from the extra insulin this morning. And she'll slowly head back up into the higher numbers. Fingers crossed she stays low like this though!

15. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Thank goodness you are testing!! Looks like your cat may be heading towards a quick remission!

16. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Yes, her last steroid shot was on 3/16 and no she still has hyperthyroidism but it is staying under control with her meds.
    Janet after this mornings reading I am wondering if just the diet is working. I wished I had waited to give it a little more time because that seems to be keeping her numbers down.
    This morning her BG was 90. I believe the vet may have misdiagnosed her and should have waited because I read last night that it can take up to 6 -8 weeks for the steroid shots to
    get out of their systems.
    No Insulin this morning.

17. Kris & Teasel

I see an 83 on her spreadsheet in the AMPS slot. You mentioned a 90. Either way, those are really good numbers and too low to give insulin. :)

18. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

I meant 83 guess my fingers mistyped. Kris is it possible that just the one shot got her numbers down to normal and she isn't a diabetic or as you mentioned before just diet is going to work? I can see why they put her on insulin but at the sametime just don't know. If this is how her numbers will continue, hey I am happy for her but either way I will be keeping up with her and checking at least 2 times a day for the time being then go from there.

19. JanetNJ

quick intervention and lowering the carb intake could have done the trick. you would not be the first cat to become food controlled this quickly, although it is uncommon. I'm crossing my fingers for you. you need two weeks under 120 to be considered in remission.

20. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Well Janet keep those fingers crossed and I am hoping so. Thanks very much.

21. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think a little insulin support to help her out while the steroids work their way out was fine. Sometimes, hitting them with a bit of insulin early can help be sure that they go into remission quickly when it was caused by steroids...keeps their system from being stressed out . :)

Chrissy66 likes this.
  22. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

We got a Low Reading and giving her some food. Odd how her sugar is low yet no insulin.

23. JanetNJ

Take another test. If the drop was small it may not have read correctly. A cat not on insulin can't hypo.

24. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

okay thanks Janet I didn't know that. Will retest her.

25. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Not bad considering she just ate about 30 minutes ago

JanetNJ likes this.
  26. JanetNJ

Good! Yeah anytime you get an out of the ordinary reading it's best to test again just in case the strip was wonky or sample too small.

Chrissy66 likes this.
  27. Djamila

Some healthy, non-diabetic cats will naturally run in the 40’s. No need to worry about lower numbers as long as you aren’t injecting insulin.

Unless they get really low of course, but that’s a whole different kind of problem.

Just keep the carbs away from her. It looks like her pancreas may be healing and you don’t want to over burden it.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  28. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Thanks and yes, we plan on keeping her on her Nulo Canned Food.

Djamila likes this.
  29. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Called Candi's Vet and they believe that her high sugar may very well had been due to stress but to just keep monitoring her sugar for about a week or 2. Numbers still staying in the normal range.

Djamila likes this.
  30. Kris & Teasel

Good idea. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.