Ebony Update and Kidney Questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Buttercup, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

I couldn't get logged in for about a half and hour. I finally had to re-register. Why did the site change? Where is the Lantus support group? I don't understand what happened and how to use this new format. Ebony's bloodwork in the beginning was BUN 94 and Crea 3.1. After being on IV for three days at vet his blood work was BUN 31 (normal) and Crea 2.6 (normal 2.4) Vet said to just do food KD and see how he is doing. I have a couple of kidney questions.

1. Has anyone ever had a cat get a kidney transplant? Do you know of anywhere in oregon or washington state where you can get a cat a kidney transplant.

2. I have a new bag of sub q fluids. Can I use the old "line" that goes into the bag. Iforgot to buy a new line. should i just pull the old one out of the old bag and put it in the new one? or do i need to buy a new line? is it not antispeptic or whatever to use the same line for different iv bags? I need to give my other kidney cat IV tonight so I need to know.

Thanks.

Also, where is the Lantus group? I need to post a question for my diabetic cat?

2. Sara and Buttercup

is anyone out there? i feel really lost on this new board. usually i'd get an answer in like 5 minutes. i don't mean to complain but i've relied on this board so heavily for my cats that it's scarey to see the changes. i'm scared it's not going to work as well, or that the same people aren't out there. i'm really having a hard time with multiple sick cats right now and I really need help and support. thanks.

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Sara

It is New Years Day and it is a bit quiet, that's all.

There is no need for a kidney transplant; fluids, possibly meds, and NOT KD are what you need to look at. Please, I do not know why you are feeding KD but it really isn't good food, and the Dry is especially bad.

Look at the board index for insulin support groups and you'll find lantus

Jen

4. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Sara, it's New Year's day and many people have dinner and evening plans. Every one of the regulars from the old forum has registered here. You are not alone.

The lantus group is under the Insulin Study Group section... viewforum.php?f=5 Click on that and you'll be able to see the lantus group at the top. Click on LANTUS and you'll be in there. Post a new thread there. There are live threads with people posting currently.

An old boss of mine has a brother whose cat had a kidney transplant. It was done many years ago in California... and it cost about $10,000. I don't know if it would be that much now. I also don't know if it's a regular thing elsewhere.

5. Sara and Buttercup

Jen, thanks for writing. I just kind of panicked when I saw the new format, esp. when i have so much going on with my cats right now. the vet told me to feed kd and until I can figure what else to feed, that's what i am feeding. i did post here about a month ago about alternative foods for cats with kidney issues/failure and also a diabetic cat ans some people replied but i ddin't print it out and now I can't access that. I guess I'll post about that tomorrow again for more input. i'm confused about what the requirements are.. low protein, low phosphorus.. anytyhihng else/ but then how much? i asked the vets and they just said "feed the kd". they sell that at their clinics.
    do you know about changing the bag/line? do i need to use a new line with every new bag of the ringers iv fluid? one of my cats is supposed to get subq tonight but i hesisitate to do it without knowing that info.
    thank you.
    sara

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Sara

I have no experience with fluids so hopefully someone else can answer that.

I've posted before and others have as well, that there is no reason to restrict protein unless your cat is end stage CRF, which is not the case for you. Phosphorous is a bit of an issue but unless you are feeding foods high in fish, you've less of a worry. Use janet's charts and aim for less than 200. KD is a very crappy food, and the dry is especially bad for kidney cats as it will dehydrate. For more diet info make sure you see Dr Lisa's page www.catinfo.org

7. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I just want to reassure you too..I freaked at the new format & still cling to the old one (still new too) I felt like I just learned the expectations of the old one & then learning this one.....It is like any College Degree... :lol:
    With that being said.....I am learning still.....it does get easier...
    Just hard, when our furbabies have issues & we are desperate..there is no time to learn new...but we have too..

8. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

9. Terra and Peaches

Terra and Peaches Member

It's best to use a new line each time you have a new bag of fluids. Maybe you can hold off tonight and get a new one tomorrow.

10. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Hi Sara,
    I answered your pm, but the one thing I don't have much experience with is kidney problems. I do believe my oldest girl, Ketchie is in CRF, but need to get blood work done to verify that. I am trying to get as much wet food into her, as she also has Interstitial Cystitis, and heart problems, so I don't know if she will get through this year. She is going on 15.

I don't think I would ever put a cat through a kidney transplant, as it sounds pretty awful and risky, and what Vic said, about it being like 10,000 dollars, that is really a lot of money to spend, unless you are really rich. Just my opinion.

This new site was unexpected for a lot of us, but I am starting to get the hang of it. You can also make the words larger if you have a scroll thing on your mouse, and you can make the print larger. Right now on mine, it is hard for my old eyes to see.

Last year at this very time, I was battling viral infections with most all of my cats, and it was really rough. I know how upset you are feeling right now. Try to hang in there and know that most all of the old timers are now registered on this new sight.

11. HollyandSpader(GA)

HollyandSpader(GA) Well-Known Member

The CRF links are still in my signature here. You can read about the foods that Spader ate and that worked well for FD and CRF.

I know how upsetting it is when you feel like you are being ignored, especially when you are dealing with cat health issues.

We are all here, just maybe a bit busier because of the holiday.

Check out my links again and hopefully you can get so me of the foods I mention there. :)

12. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

My cat Sydney was recently diagnosed with early kidney disease and the vet also recommended KD, I told her no, I won't be using that. She then said that I wanted to look for food that was under 250 in phosphorus.

What I've found that meet the FD and CRF issues so far are:

Raw - Nature's Variety
    Canned - EVO 95%, Friskies Special Diet

I am sure there are many other choices available, but this is what I'm feeding my girls so far.

Hope this helps.

13. Abakitty

Abakitty New Member

over the top, perhaps, but effective

Rorschach was diabetic for a little over a year and has been in remission for more than four years, although he developed CRF not long after going into remission. He's old (16-18) and has inoperable colon cancer, but I attribute his longevity to two things: FDMB, which saved his life more than once, and chicken. SInce his CRF diagnosis, he's been disgustingly spoiled with a diet of baked chicken breast processed to canned food consistency and served with juice from my other cat's canned food, which gives him taurine and extra flavor; Epatikin; and NutriVed B-complex vitamins. The chicken has actually turned out to be more cost-efficient than commercial food, and his kidney values not only stabilized but improved. I attribute that to the high quality protein of the chicken.

I wish that other boards and forums for feline health issues offered a fraction of the kindness, helpfulness, responsiveness, and expertise of FDMB. Thank you all.

Sara, I wish you and Ebony the best.

14. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Re: over the top, perhaps, but effective

Sara - please understand that as the above is written - this is a very unbalanced diet. There is no mention of a calcium source to properly balance the Ca-to-phos ratio.

Epakatin is a source of calcium but, unless the math has been done, this is not going to ensure a proper ca:phos.

I see so many people feeding unbalanced diets so I speak about this whenever I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.