Ed has roller coaster glucose levels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kay Lee, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kay Lee

Kay Lee New Member

My cat, Ed, eats the same food (vet recommended for diabetic cats) every day, yet his glucose levels can go from 500 to 70 to 400 to 54, to 197---well, you get the picture.
    Any ideas, advice to get him on a level course?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

What insulin, what dose, and how often?
    What food, how much, and how often?
    When was he diagnosed (long term = more than a year ago; short term= < 1 year ago)?

3. Kay Lee

Kay Lee New Member

Novolin, 5 units, twice a day
    Purina Pro Plan Vet Diets DM-Dietary Mgmt - 1/4 cup, twice a day
    2-3 yrs ago

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

That explains a lot.
    1) Novolin NPH generally lasts only 6-8 hours in most cats. ProZinc or BCP PZI would be better choices. Compare costs based on cost per unit, not just total price.
    2) Rx dry food is still high carb; don't change anything though, until you've done more reading. Go to Cat Info and read it throughly to undestand what other food choices may work for you. Most of us feed low carb, canned, over the counter food like Fancy Feast Classic Pates. Feeding those can drop the insulin dose 1-3 units depending on the cat.

5. Kay Lee

Kay Lee New Member

Very good advice. Thanks so much and I will keep you posted on our results.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

ProZinc is U-40, that is, 40 units of insulin in 1 milliliter (mL)
    BCP PZI can come as U-40, or as U-100 (100 units per mL)

7. Kay Lee

Kay Lee New Member

I found Fancy Feast Classics, but have not found Fancy Feast Classic Pates. Will the Fancy Feast Classics be just as good, do you think?

8. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

They are both the same thing. The Fancy Feast Classics are an excellent low carb choice unless your cat has renal issues. If so, then you'd need to look for low carb foods lower in phosphorus.

I am assuming from your post you are home testing Ed's glucose levels. If not, there are wonderful tips and videos on home testing on the home page and in the forum.

CJ was on Novolin but was on a lower dose than Ed is on. I am guessing the 5 units twice a day is based on vet BG (blood glucose) results. Vet BG #'s tend to be higher, especially in a stressed cat. So you may be giving Ed too high of a dose with Novolin and he could soon end up hypo (under 50). As BJM pointed out, Ed is not getting the full benefit of a longer lasting insulin like ProZinc or BCP PZI, hence that is why he is bouncing around so much with high and low #'s.

Very few cats do well on Novolin.

Check the Glucometer Notes in BJM's signature line above. It will be helpful if Ed goes hypo.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  9. Kay Lee

Kay Lee New Member

Yes. Have been home testing Ed for a couple years. I will pick up the Fancy Feast Classics tomorrow and also adjust his insulin dose. Thanks so much for your input. Will keep you posted on the results.

10. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

It will be helpful if you can update in your signature (in your profile) when Ed was diagnosed, the insulin you are using, the dose and food you are feeding, any other medical conditions/issues, etc. That will help other members help you and Ed more easily.

It will help to create a spreadsheet so members can get an idea of what Ed's BG #'s have been lately and help offer suggestions on the dose you're giving. It really helps to have feedback from others here. With excellent help from members here, I was able to get my cat off Novolin and in remission in a short time. Others have successfully switched to another insulin that gives their cat smoother BG #'s. Not every cat goes into remission but there's always that chance!

Creating a spreadsheet:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!). This saves you the cost of going to the vet for curves and done regularly, removes the need for a fructosamine test.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir. No insulin lasts 24 hours in the cat, so giving it every 12 hours is optimal for control.

12. Kay Lee

Kay Lee New Member

I'm having a little trouble saving and linking the spreadsheet I created.
    We started Ed on Fancy Feast Classics on Monday. Monday he tested at 200.
    Tues @ 151
    Thurs @ 44
    Friday @ 83
    Today @ 59
    We did give him a little Karo syrup each day.
    Could feeding him 1/2 tsp of tuna twice a day be causing a problem? He looks forward to it so much but we will definitely cut it out if it's causing a problem.
    I have not had any luck locating ProZinc. Can you tell me where you are buying it?
    Thanks again for the input.

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Going below 50 mg/dL earns a reduction in dose. Drop dose by 0.25 units - you'll have to eyeball it.
    Look online for ProZinc, otherwise, your vet can order it and re-sell it to you.
    Or
    Have your vet fax an Rx in for BCP PZI. Then contact BCP and pay them directly (avoids the vet markup)

14. Kay Lee

Kay Lee New Member

Have not given him any insulin this week because it has been so low.

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

If he is in those numbers without insulin, he is in non diabetic numbers. We consider a cat in remission if they range from 40-120 OFF insulin for 2 weeks.

No Karo needed. If he is not getting insulin, he can't hypo.

16. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

See Glucometer Notes in BJM signature line above. As Sue said, there is no need to give karo syrup. Only if your cat is on insulin and BG falls under 50.

I would limit the tuna because of the mercury in it. There is info at cat info.org that discusses the dangers of fish- based diets.

It looks like the low carb Fancy Feast is helping! Hope to see you in the Honeymooner's Club soon! That's another forum here where we go to celebrate when our cats are in remission

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.