Eddie and me

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Terruscats, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terruscats

Terruscats Member

Hi, Eddie was diagnosed last year with diabetes. He was started on Vetsulin. We had had a diabetic cat in the past so kind of knew what to expect but had much reeducation to do! I started investigating the best way to feed Eddie as he hated the D/M (of course) and was a hardcore dry treats guy, my fault, and that is how I found this and Dr. Pierson's site. I started him on a low carb diet, wet food only, with occasional D/M dry food as a treat. He went into remission and was off of insulin for a year when we had a relapse. He is currently on Vetsulin again. I had continued low carb food, fancy feast, the whole time but do admit I had gotten lax on the dry food. I believe Eddie and me are now paying the price for that laxness. He's been back on insulin since September 2015. His numbers started out good but since November they have climbed as well as amount of Vetsulin he receives. We test him twice a day and do curves periodically. I check his ketones biweekly and we are negative so far. I have recently decided to try BCP PZI and this is why I have signed up for this group to get input and education on the use of bovine PZI. His BG in between insulin shots has become alarming. The Vetsulin lowers it into the normal range but it bounces up at about 6 to 8 hour mark and by the time of his next shot he's in the high 300s and 400s! He is followed by our vet who is not all that familiar with BCP-PZI. I am hoping for better and longer control with the PZI otherwise I am thinking we will have to do 3 a day shots. I am glad this site is available its always a good thing to have company on the journey!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

We have a forum for users of PZI and ProZinc here and a post on guidelines for using them optimally in a stick post at the top there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.