? Effect of infection on BG

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Erin & Scott, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

Benny was diagnosed just less than a month ago; at that time, it was noted that he had an abscessed tooth as well as a probably fungal infection in his ears. The vet (rightfully) wanted to get his diabetes stabilized before addressing those issues.

Knowing absolutely nothing about feline diabetes, we waffled about for a bit but have now gotten him on a very stable course of 0.75 units twice a day, and for the last several days his BG levels have stayed between 60 and 200 on a nice predictable curve. He's put on some weight, and is looking and behaving so much better, almost back to his lively and playful pre-diabetic self. He is scheduled to see the vet again in two weeks.

I know that diabetes has a negative impact on infections, and I assume that the infections also affect his blood sugar, but I'm wondering just how much. I'd love to see him go into remission. Based on the collective experience here, should we expect to see an improvement once we get the infections cleared up? How much of a difference does it actually make?

I'm always optimistic and would love to see him off the insulin eventually, but I don't want to hold out false hopes, either. I know that no one has a crystal ball, but what would you expect in this situation?

2. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

My baby was DX in Oct , went in remission in Dec for almost 2 years. Got a tooth infection and “ fell “ out of remission. IMO a tooth infection really effects their BG
    Haven’t been able to afford to have his tooth out because something else keeps happening, he developed FLUTD and his new vet wants to wait until this settles down before going after his tooth. FLUTD is stress reduced and he freaks out to much. I’ve spent over $1000 since the end of Dec over his FLUTD. All my bills are way past due now & cable has been shut off. Electric will be next :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.