Effect of pain on bg?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anne Biddle, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

so Truffles is definitely getting better as in his appetite is returning and he looks better. However he is limping on his front leg and stiff and wobbly so not keen to walk. I’m going to take him back to vet tomorrow. Even with insulin his bg is not lowering and I was wondering if this is in response to pain and inflammation?

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

This isn't much of an answer but pain affects everything and cats and dogs never complain about it, they just deal with it in their own way. Noah was on transdermal BUPE long term because of rotten teeth that couldn't be pulled. He bounced and I never did get him regulated but knowing he wasn't miserable made our lives better. He never had problems with balance, vision, the stairs or constipation.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes I found that pain did raise Sheba’s bsl.
    Do you know what the cause of the pain is?I would try and get that sorted and if it is something like arthritis which is hard to ‘fix’ I would consider some long term pain relief. Sheba used to get tramadol 10mg twice a day long term with no ill effects.

Anne Biddle likes this.
  4. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

He was just starting to v slightly limp before this virus knocked him for 6. Unfortunately because he was so poorly with it he didn’t move much and he also became v week as he wasn’t eating much. He could barely stand or walk. Now his strength is building but he still seems very sore. He was off juice for nearly 80 days but since he’s been so sick his bg is around 300 and the insulin isn’t lowering it. He will be seeing the vet tomorrow.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

That is bad luck him coming out of remission with the virus.
    Are you again using the vetsulin?
    I would seriously consider changing over to one of the longer acting insulins Lantus, Levemir or Prozinc.

6. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I will be. Vetsulin worked well for him in the past I’m hoping once he’s feeling better he will go back in to remission.

Kathleen Einwich likes this.
  7. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

So back from my lovely vets. Truffles still has a slight fever and his bloods are showing an infection somewhere. He now has some painkillers and antibiotics. His appetite is back and so I will be trying to tackle his bg levels. Hoping that once he feels better he will go back in to remission

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.