Effects of oil, kelp & yeast?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Loulou, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loulou

Loulou New Member

Hi all, my 11 year old, very obese (8.6kg) cat Nelly was diagnosed as diabetic yesterday evening, I'm going to see the vet on Monday to discuss treatment but have been reading the Dr Lisa website & this one & would love to try to get Nelly into remission & to lose weight by switching to wet food.

So I'm going to try and find some good quality wet food today to try her on, any suggestions? I've checked the list and am going to get some of the Lily's Kitchen Chicken Dinner as I've seen that in the supermarket and might try some of the Natural Instinct frozen stuff as I'm sure I've seen it in one of the pet shops here.

My question is what are the potential effects of the oil, kelp & yeast that are mentioned in the note, can anyone advise? Also, the carrageenan listed in the Lily's Kitchen food, should I avoid that? She currently has a water infection & is on antibiotics & meloxidyl for that.

Thanks all, really pleased to have found this forum, I'm really hoping I can try to get her into remission & to lose weight, although I've failed for the last 10 years (on dry food!)

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Sorry about the diagnosis. You did the right thing getting her off dry food for sure. No doubt that's what got her where she is. A low carb wet diet is the way to go. Are you in the UK? No doubt someone more familiar with the foods in your area can make suggestions.

My cat gained sufficient weight in the last year and a half because her arthritis is severe so she doesn't move as much. So I know how that goes. When your cat does walk, is she limping at all? How much does she weigh? What is her ideal weight?

I'm glad your vet is waiting for the infection to clear and the food change before starting insulin. Both can have a large impact on bg numbers. It is rare for diet alone to cause them to not need insulin, but it does make a significant difference.

In the meantime before Monday what you could do is pick yourself up a bg testing meter.
    Make sure whichever one you choose requires a small 0.3 size sample. You'll also want 26 or 28 gauge lancets, and some cosmetic cotton pads to go behind the ear to protect your fingers from poking. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Loulou

Loulou New Member

Thanks for your reply, yes in South West England, should have said that but I didn't realise this was an international website until I'd posted, sorry!

Ideally I think the vet would like her to be around 5 kg, she's currently 8.6 kg although was over 9 a few months ago. She was limping a bit a while back but since losing a bit of weight she doesn't seem to be, but she's also lost muscle, you can see it in the back legs, the meloxidyl is probably helping too as I suspect her joints are sore with all the weight on them.

I'll see if I can get a testing meter, not sure if they sell them over the counter in pharmacies here or if you need a prescription, never had anything to do with diabetes before so pretty clueless on that front!

I will have a watch of the video, thanks so much for the link & your suggestions.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

People on here from the UK have not had trouble getting a meter.
    Yes we are an international group, although a majority are from the US and Canada.
    I'll tag a fellow UK member who can perhaps suggest food and a meter available by you.

@Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie and Loulou like this.
  5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.