Elevated cat bowl?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kimberbee, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

Toasty is a very fast eater - he'll gobble up a whole can (3oz) of Fancy Feast within minutes. Usually, right after he eats, he comes to sit next to me on the couch. Most the time, he also lets out a hefty burp.

I know for dogs, especially bigger breeds, an elevated bowl can be good for them at meal time. Does the same apply to cats?

I've never fed an all wet diet at set meal times before (had always free fed dry) so I don't know if this is a food thing or a Toasty thing...

He's just over 14lbs and I'm feeding him 3 cans a day - breakfast @7, lunch @2, and dinner @8. I feed him half a can, then wait 15-20 minutes for the other half. I don't want him to eat too much at once and make himself sick!!

2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes an elevated bowl can be beneficial. I just set her bowl on a used shoe box.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You can also try spreading the food out on a flat plate instead of putting it in a bowl so he has to work a little harder to eat.....that usually slows them down.

There are also special bowls you can buy that have "barriers" so the cat has to "eat around them" (or you can put something big enough not to be swallowed (like a golf ball) into the bowl with the cat food to make him eat around it to slow him down from scarfing)

4. Lillie

Lillie Member

You could also try a timed feeder and set it with smaller amounts spaced out. I use the petsafe 5 compartment feeder and it works well. I have the feeder placed up on the box it came in so it is elevated.

5. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

Ever since getting elevated bowls all but 2 of our 10 cats still vomitted sometimes after eating. one of the two we switched to a wide 10oz cat dish and gave smaller portion of food (1/2 cn of ff) spread around in dish and he stopped vomiting. sounds like your guy is just eating too fast like that one was, so an elevated bowl may not help him as much as using a wide dish would. we use this cute one, really well made and doesn't move about since it has weight to it.
    https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...s/cat-bowls/harmony-ceramic-mouse-cat-saucer#

we use these for elevated 'food' bowls, easier to wash and not too high up. our cats didn't like the raised dish holders at all, all were too high up for them to eat comfortably it seems and they would often grab food out and eat it on floor with those, only one cat still does that with these bowls. kinda pricey but, they are really well made. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAW62CI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kimberbee likes this.
  6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I remember seeing pictures of Leo and Little Dude eating from elevated food dishes ( @JeffJ ), it looked to me like stacked plastic plates or the like. Leo has swallowing issues and it helps him.

7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Lou is correct. I stack plastic trays to feed the kittehs. Leo has eating issues because of stridor - fleshy growths from his Acromegaly.
    Copy of Chinus, Leo, LD eating together 08-24-2018b.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.