Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Beth 73, Dec 9, 2016.
Kind of a compromise between none and full
That is true...what r ur thots, Chris...go ahead and skip ??? Or give one drop and have to adjust schedule for days ??
My experience with an in-and-out insulin is that you have more flexibility in adjusting shot times. I use ProZinc and have shifted a dose in a one hour increment with no negative effect at all, eg. daylight saving time, late getting home. I think giving a dose of two drops 2 hours late can be rectified quite quickly, maybe in 2 cycles.
Ok Kris and Chris...I'm choosing no shoot....I will monitor BG and ketones ....any other advice???
When I did daylight savings I did no adjustment at all...kept to same schedule with no effect but wasn't dealing post hypo either
He''ll be OK, Beth. My advice is to take some deep breaths and have a sip of something soothing, hot tea or maybe something a bit stronger? Try to get to bed a bit earlier tonight.
An adult beverage (or 2) and an early night!!
Amen....one question about tomorrow morning .....do I give the 0.25 as I would have had none of this happened and what is a safe AMPS to do that ???
You guys r a hoot !!! You better watch it,Chris...I could drive to ur house
Do you have a timed feeder, Beth? If yes, perhaps put out some mini meals of Elmo's normal grub. The pancreas should pulse some insulin each time he eats. Could possibly help keep numbers tamped down a little till morning.
Sending prayers for all to be well.
Aw ohhh....another last question....can I buy u100 at a Walmart or would my vet have them ??? Don't want to wait to order...
Use Elmo's recent data as a guide, Beth, and post for help before the AM dose if you need it.
Same to you Ms Mogs....its very late across the pond right now
WalMart.....Relion brand 3/10cc, 30 or 31 gauge, 8mm insulin syringes
Your vet should have them if he/she prescribes lantus or levemir. Walmart has them too but you have to make sure they have half unit marks (same for the ones your vet sells).
He might still be extra sensitive to insulin from the hypo so you'll have to be careful. Let's wait to see what his AMPS is.
Thank you, thank you to the two best Chris/Kris es I am blessed to know !!!! All is well !!!
And will start new thread tomorrow...I seem to have amassed another volume here
Last post for the night ....PMPS was 150.....no shot given.....+4 since PMPS is 148
Go Elmo!!! Surf it buddy!!!
Elmo is fine....my heart and prayers are with you all as you work with Tigger's momma....praying for you all....this situation defies with sweet Tigger defies logic...
Looking good Elmo!
Good morning! Woke up hour early and took BG after no insulin last night...his BG was 138...sure thrilled you all know what to make of this because I sure don't...will be taking official AMPS here in 30 minutes but wanted to post this heads up now...
Morning, Beth! I hope that you managed to get a few hours of refreshing and restorative sleep for yourself.
Good job grabbing that extra test just now, Beth. Elmo seems to have held in the normal range for the night. I'm really glad for you because I know how worrying this is for you; I can relate completely.
For info, the +138 (Alphatrak) is nearing the top end of the normoglycaemic range (approx 150 on the pet meter).
Will pop back in a while to see what your AMPS is like. Go have some !
BG just taken AMPS of 154....
Holding off feeding til hear further advice
Usually feed right now
Right now am stalling eating and testing every 20 minutes per Kris suggestion last night....
AMPS rising...now at 162...still stalling feeding
I'm here, Beth. Keep stalling for a few minutes till I look at Elmo's spreadsheet. BRB ...
First question: Can you monitor BG through the whole cycle?
Yes absolutely ...
Feed Elmo now!
Got it !!!
FYI - allowing for meter variance the 154 and 162 are essentially the same BG level.
Elmo says " thank you, Mogs...I was starving "
Right, we've got 30 minutes before giving the dose to decide about strategy for the day.
You're very welcome, Sir Elmo! Have some scritches with your brekkie!
1. Does Elmo ever start sniffing around looking for a bit of grub BEFORE +2?
2. What was the carb % of the food you gave him for brekkie?
3. What have you got in the house in the way of moderate, medium, and high carb foods? (With percentages if possible, please!)
I'm sorry I had to abandon you eventually last night - my eyes were closing and I was brewing a headache. I think that given his slowly rising BG, you might try giving a drop of insulin. You've experimented counting drops in 0.25 u and Mogs gave you another micro dose technique last night. You'll be home to monitor today.
Morning, @Kris & Teasel!
Another kwestion for you, Beth:
4. Do you think you could be able to measure up a 0.25IU dose and then squeeze out a small droplet?
I went to bed fretting about Elmo and another kitty (@Mtrom80) last night. Took me a while to get to sleep and I'm a bit bleary eyed this AM.
I let him eat/graze for up to an hour after his shot...so he essentially grazes til +1.5........carb content for brekkie is 5( a combo of Wellness and FF chunky turkey, his best favorite)...gave 1/4 ( 1 oz ish) of each...he has eaten about 1/2 of each.....food on hand ranges from 2 carb, 3,4,5, 8, 10 and 12.... just bought friskier with gravey yesterday but not sure carb content
Have some extra-special refreshing and soothing hugs:
Bless your heart...we were fine...found myself in prayer for Tigger too... sounds like all is better for him this morning
And you DID NOT abandon us
Yes I am more comfy with that process than the other...
It was quite a stressful night all round for a lot of FDMB kitties. I'm pleased and relieved that they're all OK.
The moon's nearly at the full. Wondering whether that might be having a partial influence?
Elmo has retreated to his " man cave" ( aka the upstairs landing on a cushioned bench).... has eaten a little less than usual...about +ish 1/4 can of 3oz can....behavior is normal ...litter box normal
Time for shot....so I am taking up a .25 then squeezing out 1 drop??
Thanks for the food info and "man cave" update.
Here's a possible plan:
1. When dose is due give 0.25IU MINUS one drop.
2. Test at +1.5 to see whether onset has started. If Elmo's in safe double digits feed a teaspoon of low carb.
3. Test again at +2. If his numbers are similar to the recent cycles on the 0.25 dose follow the same feeding/testing routine as you have been using for those cycles.
4. If +2 numbers are safe but below 90 post for input.
How does that sound to you and @Kris & Teasel (and Kris, will you be around today? I'm not feeling so good.)
Needless to say if numbers get down to 68 or lower intervene with higher carbs/honey/karo to steer Elmo back up to safer numbers following the usual drill and post for help.
This sounds like a plan. Unfortunately I'll be going out in about a half hour and will be gone until about+6.
Thanks for letting us know, Kris. I hope you have a good outing.
Horse duties ... I'm overrun with critters.
Good complaint to have.
REVISION to above!
4. If +2 numbers are safe but below 90 post for input. ETA - ask for help with steering the curve and what to feed. If in doubt or if you don't get a quick reply give Elmo the food you feel is right. Always err on the side of caution and keep monitoring BG.
I need to pop away for a bit. Will check back in a while.
You feeling OK with things, Beth?
BTW any ketone result for this morning?
I am fine !!! Ketone negative this a.m......
Bet that made you feel a lot better.
I'm going to try to get some rest now. I have PTSD among other health issues and the last few days have taken quite a toll on me; my adrenal glands have gone into overdrive and I'm feeling very agitated and jittery right now so I badly need to slow down.
I hope you're comfortable with the plan for the day. Keep testing, feed as needed, post a 911 on FH if you need urgent help. Also, if you don't get a prompt reply to a 911 on FH, post a new thread on the Lantus and Levemir board asking for help; it's a very busy board so you may find someone online there even if there's no-one on FH. Kris should be back by your +6.
Sending prayers for a safe, uneventful AM cycle. Provided Elmo's in safe numbers towards the end of the cycle, try to get some rest for yourself. If you can sneak in an AM+11 BG test before the PMPS it could provide you with useful info as to whether Elmo's numbers are rising before the next dose is due.
Go rest... all is well here ....and I receive and believe for safe numbers and uneventful AM cycle
BTW, Elmo has the loveliest little face! His eyes are very soulful. (((Elmo)))
If you do need to post for help, Beth, make sure people replying understand that you're using an Alphatrak meter.
Thank u, Mogs....now go rest ur weary body and soul....u cannot keep emptying yourself if u don't take care of yourself...Elmo and I are covered, trust me in that ....so please set us aside and go rest
I'm back, Beth. So far, Elmo's numbers look good.
Just popped in quickly to see if all's OK.
Those little 5% carb snacks seem to have worked well, Beth; a much smoother 'glide' down to nadir. How are Elmo's energy levels today?
I'm glad to see you here, Kris. I hope you enjoyed 'horsing around' earlier.
I'll try to pop in later - need to go back to the leaba; very tired and I hurt.
Dear Mogs and Kris....all is well here...the more I experience these bumps in Elmo's road, the more confidence I have, thanks to you both and all the precious kitty mommas( and daddy's) I have been blessed to come to know. We are all truly kindred spirits ..... Elmo has slept all day ....bit lethargic but that's how he has been since starting this journey....going to take a + 7 BG and post on SS....dreary but peaceful day today !!! Woo hoooooo
If need help at PMPS will begin new thread....
Dreary but peaceful is what you need today, Beth! Will check in for PMPS.
Amen , Kris....and thank you beyond words
Elmo has a Buddha-like quality in his expression.
Haha ... we have had him since a kitten...he is the only one in 30+ years that we actually went to shelter and picked out...all the rest have been what my dear hubby terms " show up cats"
How long till PMPS test is due, Beth?
Ain't that the truth?? It's so dark and gloomy today....but it's a purrfect day for kitty snuggles if you can get them!!
Oh yes !!!
Just took +7.5......BG 133....what the heck ????....PMPS 3 hours from now
He might be telling you he doesn't want any insulin tonight. It's possible his pancreas is starting to help out. Let's wait and see.
Very smooth cycle.
Very curious to see what Elmo'll do for PMPS.
Beth, remember to get a BG test in an hour before PMPS!
Mercy.....what did we all use to do with our free time ???........?......I crack myself up
Yes mam....how r u doing ??? Better rested ????
I managed to sleep for a while earlier but I have a touch of fibromyalgia and at the moment most of my body feels inflamed. I'm a complete crock.
Ohhhh, no .....sending healing , soothing thoughts and prayers to you.
It must be around 11ish there, correct ? Our daughter lived in London for several years a few years ago so we got use to thinking multiple time zones....time for more rest for you....
BG one hour prior to PMPS.152 .....
One hour prior to PMPS test got a 152
You might be able to give the same dose as this AM. Looks like he'll end up at a PMPS that will be high enough for that.
Will post PMPS in about 30 minutes
23:41 GMT here.
Very steady cycle thus far. Will check back for PMPS.
PMPS 127......?????.....will feed in 15 minutes and shoot 30 after that ...I would be totally lost if not for u all...
PMPS 127....will feed in 15 minutes and shot/no shoot 30 after that ....
@Kris & Teasel @Critter Mom .....PMPS 127...... feed in 10 minutes and shoot/no shoot 30 after that
I think you could be looking at a skip again tonight, Beth. BG's falling.
How long before PMPS was the last time Elmo ate anything, and what carb%/amount did he eat?
Separate names with a comma.