Elmo ? - on New PZI U100 Compounded insulin from Pharmacy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kays8cats, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hi,

I stared Elmo on a new insulin I got from my vet. It is a U100 insulin made special by a compounding pharmacy its protamine zinc.

I want to confirm that this is U100 and not U40 to avoid any confusion straight away.

I have had him on 2 units BID for about 5 days now .

Here are some questions I have.

1. Is it ok to do a curve on him tomorrow or is it too soon?

2. I feed him and my 7 other cats tid friskies canned food 7am, 5pm and before bed usually around 10-11pm. I am trying to coorelate his injections when feeding so I give him insulin at 7am and 7pm does this sound ok?

3. I have very random numbers for him over the past few days please let me knwo what u think.

4. I was going to decrease him to 1 1/2 units this pm because the BG I took today was a little low for me.
    Should I do this or wait to see what curve show tomorrow?

Numbers

Sunday started on 2 units
    336 plus 3
    182 plus 7
    320 plus 9
    392 plus 12

Monday am 2 units, pm same

test 393 plus 2hrs pm

Tuesday am 2 units, same pm

test 342 plus 9 hours
    pm insulin
    test 202 plus 5 hrs

Wed

2 units and and pm

Test 330 plus 9 hrs after am shot

Today Thurs

2 units am

test 109 plus 6 hours ?????

Time to decrease??

Sorry for sporadic #'s tst when I am able.

Thanks

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A curve this weekend is fine. You also need to get a BG before/at shot time. The values you gave to not show any preshot (PS) BGs. Without knowing the PS makes it hard to determine what is really happening with BG throughout the day.

Feeding and shooting (with PS BG) is desirable.

The BG of 109 at +6 is the type of BG you want at +6. Therefore. I would not decrease unless you are also changing dies to a lower-carb food. But if you want to be safe, reducing dose to 1 1/2 is the ting to do.

Regarding the U40 vs U100 if the vial says U100 I would not investigate further. However, it might be desirable to know what base insulin was used. Is it human insulin or bovine? Ears ago my Grey Ghost started on human-based, locally-compounded, PZI insulin and was then switched to bovine=based, locally-compounded PZI insulin.

3. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

The vial says U100 and I called the compounding pharmacy and talked to pharmacist and they told me they make it U100. I did not ask if it is human or bovine. I can call back and ask.

I posted a week ago about the whole insulin thing and pharmacy to make sure it was not U40.

I know it is best t oget pre shot Bg just have not sometimes.

I have switched all my cats to all canned diet about a month or more ago. I tried to see if all canned would lower Elmos numbers enough so he would not need insulin but did not lower much with diet change.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.