Elmo started on new PZI today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kays8cats, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hello,

See my other post below.

Went to vets to get new Proz. PZI U100 today at vets. Got it for $40.00 is this a reasonable price?

Already have u-100 syringes so that is good.

I had him on Idexx PZI that was expired and I do not think it was working so great.

Going to start him on this insulin tonight.

Should I start with one unit again or continue the 1 and 1/2 like I am giving now?

I am doing a curve on him today just to get an idea of how he is doing. He has been on 1 1/2 since sunday.

Thanks,

Kay

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

deleted my response because Venita's is wayyyy better and more complete!

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is a U100 insulin? I have never heard of a veterinary insulin being U100. ProZinc, a relatively new PZI insulin, is a U40 insulin. See the wiki here.

You can use a U40 insulin with U100 syringes (many prefer to do this), but you need a conversion factor to make sure you are shooting the dosage you intend to shoot.

Were you using the U100 syringes with the U40 Idexx PZI? Were you using the conversion table?

Given the Idexx PZI he was on was expired and you thought it wasn't working well, I wouldn't use his dosage on that as a guide. I would start over at 1U. Also, I see no reason to burn up test strips today on a cycle where he was given an expired insulin that you aren't going to use anymore. I would save the curve for a week from now. I would be getting PS tests and random mid-cycle tests.

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Kay, it's a u40 insulin. Prices I'm finding are varying between 80 and 95 a vial so 40 was an excellent price.

5. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Does the vial say which pharmacy this new insulin come from? If its u100, its probably a compounded insulin. Those tend to run in the $30-$45 range. The newer replacement for IDEXX is a u40 and costs between $90-$115.

We had success with our compounded pzi, (ours was around $30 plus shipping) we are otj now! Good luck with the new stuff.

btw- you might want to be cautious about the exp. date for the new insulin--some of the compounded ones have a shorter shelf life.

6. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hi everyone,

I checked the insulin again and it is U100.

Wedgewood pahrmacies in Swedesboro, NJ makes it and it is Protamine Zinc insulin 100 units per ml in a 5ml bottle.

Saws to use within 3 months .

So this is compounded from the pharmacy

The Idexx PZI I was giving was expired so I wanted to start him on a new non expired insulin and this is what the vet suggested

7. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Pardon my spelling :lol:

8. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

I called the vets and the pharrmacy to confirm and the pharmacy technician told me they only compound the insulin as U100 .

9. RachelandConner

RachelandConner New Member

Yeah, where are you getting the PZI for $40? My bottle was $90 when I picked it up a month ago. I want your pricing!! :razz: And that is a U-40.

10. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The insulin you are using: "Wedgwood pahrmacies in Swedesboro, NJ makes it and it is Protamine Zinc insulin 100 units per ml in a 5ml bottle." is not ProZinc insulin but is very similar. In the future when you are saying what insulin you are using please say something like "Wedgwood U100 Protamine Zinc insulin" toavoid confusion, especially regarding the strength.

12. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Larry I did quote what kind of insulin it was, the name of the company and everything else. I don't understand why u think I am trying to confuse people and am a bit taken back by your comment. I was writing what was on the vial prozinc U100 . I stated that it was U100 all along so it was not meant to confuse anyone. Everyone kept asking me if I was sure it was u100. , thats why I confirmed with the vet and the pharmacy.

13. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i don't think larry means you are Trying to confuse people. i think he was just advising to make sure when someone asks you what insulin you are using that you mention that it is a compounded pzi insulin as that can make a difference let's say if some day you are wondering if your insulin has pooped out on you because compounded insulins don't last or stay efficient as non-compounded insulins and also because 99% of people using or very experienced with pzi insulins will automatically think U40 since that's what most of them are, thus they could advise you on something thinking you are using a u40 insulin.

in all honesty, i'd probably go so far as to put a notation in my signature noting that you are using a compounded pzi from a local pharmacy.

14. Larry and Kitties

I made my comment for the reason that Cindy said. Many people thought you had ProZinc which is a U40 insulin. If somebody thought you were using a U40 insulin and said you were giving 2 units in a U100 syringe that person would think you were giving 0.8 units. I do not know anybody else using WedgeWood PZI. Some are using BCP PZI and that is available in U100, U50 or U40.

15. Marsha & Lucky (GA)

Marsha & Lucky (GA) New Member

Re: Elmo's PZI- Is it Bovine or combo?

Is Elmo's PZI from bovine origin only or is it a combo of porcine with bovine? There is a BIG difference between them, and you just need to make sure you don't switch from combo to bovine at the same dose when you get a new vial. Bovine always worked better for Lucky, and I was able to buy it in U100 100% bovine PZI after he got regulated, so we could save some money. Vet Pharmacy of America in Texas is where i used to order it from, but BCP is also very good bovine PZI. Usually local pharmacies do not have bovine insulin to use in their compound. If you find it isn't regulating him without going to extremely high doses, you might want to change to 100% Bovine PZI with your vet's blessing.
    My Lucky was managed on 2.5 to 3.0 units of Bovine PZI for several years until he went to The Bridge. I miss him so.
    Marsha & Lucky (GA)

16. Larry and Kitties

Per Wedgewood's site their insulin is: "The PZI described on this page is compounded with recombinant human insulin. " It can't be a bovine base since the site says it is for dogs and cats and dogs have a reaction to bovine insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.