Elmos spreadsheet - QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kays8cats, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hi friends,

Can you take a look at Elmos spreadsheet and let me know if you think I am doing things ok.

He is on Wedgewood pharmacy compounded PZI U100 insulin for about a month or so.

Eats only friskies canned foor three time a day, no gravy or chunk kind.

I test him for ketones weekly and he looks much better than when he was diagnosed. Active, alert, no pu/pd.

I test his Bg as often as I am able and began testing him with a new TruTest meter from Walgreens.

My concern was that some members say this meter has bad readings, that they are way off and Elmos numbers just started to be much lower when I started tsting with this so I was a bit confused.

I did order another meter from Hocks pharmacy so I can compare bg's on both meters.

Questions are:

1. What are the rules for shooting? If under 150 no insulin and????

2. If the reading from this meter were way off I would be able to tell be his behavior correct? I can tell if he is high, he gets squinty and lethargic and pees a lot.

3. Has anyone had a cat on this wedgewood insulin ?

Thanks, just looking for input, Loooooove the spreadsheet :mrgreen:

Kay

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

It looks like you are doing a great job!

I've not really noticed what the issues are with your particular meter so I'll leave that to others.

As to the cutoff, each cat is different and only experimentation will tell you what is safe or not. I'd be interested in seeing how low Elmo goes after giving 1 unit at 200 today; that is a new step for you and will tell you a lot. I'd stick with perhaps 200 as a cutoff just for a bit and see.....

3. Dale

Dale Member

I have the True Track, True Balance, True Read, True2Go (haven't used it yet though), but don't have the TruTest. I can tell you from comparing my "True" meters with the One Touch that they are within 10 points of the One Touch on the lower end numbers with the OTU being higher. One the higher end of the numbers, they run about 20 points lower than OTU. If I have a questionable reading I get the OTU and redo it. I'm using the True Balance and True Read meters most because I can afford the test strips. My advise is to not get rid of the meter. You might find a good deal on ebay for it and can switch back and forth with the new meter you ordered. FWIW.

4. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Ok so....

Got new meter from Hocks today - Maxima and tested Elmo now at +6 and he was 309, tested him with the meter TruTest and he tested 205.

All of his readings have been in the 200's with this TruTest walgreens meter .......

So what now???

Which one do I believe??

They were 100 points different???

Also**** looking back at my notes - I ran out of strips for the one touch ultra mini and began using TrueTest 4/23 pm If u look at his spread sheet Notice a big decline in #'s............oh boy
    UGH :sad:

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I can't get your spreadsheet to open, I think my network is too slow, but since switching from the OTU you haven't been comfortable with the True meter and now that you have the Maxima you're less comfortable with that meter.

I'd stick with the new one and keep the old one on the side for emergencies.

There are always going to be variances in meters, even the same meter on the same drop of blood will give a different number, so it will be important for you to also rely on your instincts as the mom, is Elmo acting too hungry, peeing too much, acting happy, fur color look good, those types of things.

For instance, Tucker, when he's not well, his orange fur gets a little pale. It's things like that you will learn to pick up on that will be just important too. You are doing a fantastic job, Elmo is a lucky kitty.

6. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Thanks Jen. You mean switch to the New Hocks meter Maxima?

I am just confused as to what to dose him if one is reading 419 now and the other 271 ??

I do also go by how he acts but I can not always tell and the confusion of all these numbers makes me think he is high you know??

I will test with the maxima for now.

I also got the one touch free and the strips are too expensive so I was looking for a meter that was good and has strips at a reasonable price.

Thanks so much.

7. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Stick with the Maxima for now just so that you have some peace of mind. Then, check out ebay, you'll find there are offers for OTU test strips that are really good. When I used to use the OTU I bought the strips from a merchant for about $29 a box, it was a really good deal, if I remember correctly. Just go with a merchant that has a good reputation.

It seems like you'd feel more comfortable with the OTU or the Maxima for now, and your comfort level is important. In time, could be weeks or months, things come together, it gets to be really natural after a while. I know it seems crazy now and with the different numbers making it even more so, but honestly, you will be an old hand at this so soon :D

8. Nicole and Napoleon

Nicole and Napoleon Well-Known Member

Hi. Napoleon was on PZI U100 compounded from Wedgewood and he did respond. I did switch him over to BCP U100 100% Bovine in April though because I wanted to give it a try after hearing great things about it. He did respond more quickly to the BCP and he needs a smaller dose of the BCP than the Wedgewood PZI to get the same results. Hope this helps. Sending good luck vibes to you and your kitty :smile:

P.S. - I use a Freestyle Freedom Lite meter I got for free and that is the most accurate meter I have for him, even tested against my vets Alphatrak, the alpha track was about 20 points higher but I have heard they run high so I think this one is on the money. Here is the link to join their free program and get a free meter. If they give you a choice between the flash and freestyle freedom lite - choose the freestyle freedom lite. I have a flash and it is more accurate than that. The program is free and has a lot of great perks. Just list yourself as a caregiver. http://www.myfreestyle.com/fs/d/en_US/7 ... se-program

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.