Elvis diagnosed 2 weeks ago

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy Rikard, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy Rikard

Amy Rikard New Member

Hi all! My name is Amy and my orange tabby (11yr old) was diagnosed 2 weeks ago on 4/19/2017. Vet wanted him to start Lantus 1 unit twice a day. A week ago I changed his food from dry purina food to Friskies pate and THANKFULLY he loves it. I started feeding him one can for "breakfast" and one can for "dinner". I am so happy to be apart of this group for support and encouragement while Elvis and I go through this journey together

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the message board Amy!! I'm happy to see you over here from the Facebook group!

You're doing the right things so far.....getting off the dry and onto the low carb Friskies is the best thing!

You can feed more often than every 12 hours if you want (and Elvis might like it better too)...it's actually easier on the pancreas to deal with multiple small meals than two big ones (just like humans are told to eat smaller, more frequent meals)

The only time you really don't want to feed is the 2 hours immediately before Pre-shot times so the test you get isn't influenced by food. Other than those 2 hours, you'll learn by testing how Elvis responds to both food and insulin and when to feed. Some cats do better if they get the majority of their food before nadir, but some cat eat all the way up to +10 without any problems.

Since you have your spreadsheet set up and I know you're working in the rest of your signature, I will go ahead and invite you over to the Lantus forum. You'll get lots of experienced eyes watching out for you and Elvis!!

Here's some info on Getting the most from your Lantus forum experience on how we post over there.

Again, welcome!!!

Amy Rikard and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Amy and Elvis! Grats on the diet change and his approval ;). Glad you are already home testing. Chris has already invited you over to Lantus land, there's a big community of friendly and knowledgeable people there!

Amy Rikard likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

5. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.