Elvis won't eat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Linda & Elvis, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda & Elvis

Linda & Elvis Member

Elvis has barely eaten in the past 12 hours - she ate a mouthful of food when I came home from work yesterday but didn't want to touch anything after that. She also had several liquidy stools (in very small amounts since she wasn't eating.) Because of her gastrointestinal problems she only eats a small amount each time so I try to feed her frequently but she kept turning her head away. I gave her some Pepcid AC last night at the vet's suggestion, but I don't know if it did anything. She ate a few pieces of dry food in the middle of the night, then about a tablespoon of wet food mashed into soup & watered down with bone broth about 40 minutes ago, but does;t want anything else.
    I gave her fluids (and managed to get most of them into her, first time for that) so I hope that helps.
    I'm not sure if I even sure try testing her bg since she's not eating.

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you testing for ketones? That is the main risk for a diabetic kitty who isn't eating (especially when skipping or reducing insulin shots-- there's a vicious cycle of skipping due to not eating, then they feel yuckier and want to eat less). Let's hope it doesn't go in that direction for her-- ketones are very serious. I'd try to test BG this morning, even if she's not eating, especially if you don't have ketone test strip (urine testing) at the moment, just to see where she's at right now. High BG increases ketone likelihood (though it isn't absolutely required).

In the meantime: turning her head away sounds like nausea. If the pepcid isn't working, there are some antinausea medications you can try-- ondansetron is a good one, Cerenia (usually used when there's vomiting) is another than can help. If the nausea is mild, it can help to raise the food/water bowls a few inches so she doesn't have to bend down to eat.

Poor kitty. I hope she's feeling better soon.

3. Linda & Elvis

Linda & Elvis Member

I have not tested for ketones. I'm leaving a message for her vet, who opens in an hour & a half. It's so hard seeing her so uncomfortable

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

:(

5. Linda & Elvis

Linda & Elvis Member

I tested her and she is at 72!! without any insulin since yesterday morning.

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

How’s Elvis?

Linda & Elvis likes this.
  7. Linda & Elvis

Linda & Elvis Member

She's had a hard day -very uncomfortable. But I gave her some slippery elm bark a little while ago at another member's suggestion, and it helped! She ate a little, twice, and is now napping. (Earlier she was too uncomfortable to stay asleep for long.)

I'm going to the vet now to get some Cerenia for her.

Idjit's mom and Sharon14 like this.
  8. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

When my Mishka got diagnosed she had the runs for 3 weeks and no appetite.

I found that if I rolled her fancy feast into tiny little bit sized balls with added water to try to hydrate her and put them in front of her she would eat each tiny little ball at a time.

It was an exhausting couple weeks and I was worried, but luckily things picked up after the runs cleared up finally.

I also gave her half the insulin dose the vet recommended due to the diarrhea and her low appetite, and monitored closely for ketones. But her brother was diabetic so I was comfortable making that decision and my ability to monitor her.

9. Linda & Elvis

Linda & Elvis Member

I'm going to try that with the FF balls!

beggargirl likes this.
  10. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

Good luck!

Linda & Elvis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.