Emerald's Glucose Numbers Still too High

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Serephina, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serephina

Serephina New Member

Hello All,

If you are not familiar with Emerald and I, you might want to read our intro post. She has a lot going on besides kidney disease and diabetes. We are trying our best with her and times have been tough especially over these past few months.

She went in for her glucose curve again on Thursday and her numbers are still way too high. This is the third time around for this process over the past 3 months. It is getting frustrating but I know that it has to do that Emerald has so many different things to deal with at the same time. Her insulin was inched up again 1/2 unit so now she is on 2.5 units. I think a large part of this is because she is on the steroid, Budesomide for her IBD condition and that can cause the glucose to go up.

One of the things I spoke with the doctor about was changing her diet. She was eating a k/d wet food for several months but when she suddenly couldn't keep it down, I thought maybe something in it was causing her to get sick. She's been on the k/d dry for a while and not throwing up but I want to take her off of it. Its just too many carbs. The doctor wants me to keep her on a k/d food. I studied the k/d foods and regular brand foods. It seems like the best choice is Royal Canin Renal Support D. That one has 16 carbs which is not ideal for diabetes but its much better than the 50 plus of her dry food and roughly 25 of her previous k/d wet food. I hope that she likes it!

Take care,

Serephina

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your frustration, Serephina. You are doing the best you can right at this moment, and considering a change to a lower carb food is a step in the right direction to get those BG numbers down. I don't know about the other conditions, but I am sure there are others who do, and will chime in. Keep asking questions, researching and learning. And be very kind and loving to yourself, because you care so much for Emerald and are working hard to help her.
    I encourage you to create a signature so we can see the pertinent info about Emerald when we read your posts. I am providing a link that explains what the signature is and how to make it. Hang in there, you've only begun the sugar dance, but I think you will learn fast. :cat:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.