Enticing cat to eat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kimberbee, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

Hello!

I have a feeling "get to a vet" is going to be the suggested option, however, I'm home alone with a one year old so getting to the vet is going to be an ordeal...

Wondering if there's something I can try at home first to help kitty feel well. He's acting normal, but won't eat much, and has lost weight.

Adopted about a year ago in remission from diabetes - he was only on insulin for a few months pre-adoption and it was controlled with diet. I have been feeding him Fancy Feast pates, but the last few weeks he eats less and less - down to only about one can a day. I still offer him about 3 cans a day, changing out his old food for new every few hours.

I was able to get him to eat a bit more by mixing in some water, but he mostly just drinks the broth... obviously this means he is peeing a little more than normal.

Is this a hint that the diabetes is no longer being controlled by diet alone? Or can cats really get so picky they will lose weight?

I have a grocery pickup scheduled for this afternoon, so I can run in and grab a glucose meter, which I will probably do anyway. Suggestions on what to get?

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

kimberbee likes this.
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you are asking about a meter, quite a few people here use the Walmart brand, Relion meter. The strips are inexpensive. If you end. up going to a pharmacy, you'll spend double for the cost of strips vs buying them online. Usually a meter comes with somewhere between 1- 25 strips, which may be fine if your kitty hasn't fallen out of remission.

Could there be anything else going on? When was the last time your cat had a dental? If there's dental pain, that can interfere with eating. Is your kitty looking nauseated -- tries to eat but walks away and may be licking his lips? Is he uncomfortable if you pick him up? If so, pancreatitis could be an issue. Kidney issues can also cause inappetence.

I do think it's wise to get your kitty in to see your vet just to be safe. Without something obvious, you'll likely know more if you get lab tests.

kimberbee likes this.
  4. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

Dental - never, so this could be a big part of it. I'm very nervous about putting him under anesthesia...
    He seems to want to eat and will have a few licks, but then walks away. Doesn't seem to be uncomfortable when petted or picked up.
    If it wasn't for my very active toddler, I'd have an appointment with the vet asap. As it is, I don't have anyone to watch the little one for me while I take kitty to the vet. No way he'll sit politely while we're waiting to be seen by the vet...

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

A few licks and walking away can be a sign of many things. Vet offices are used to kid chaos. Mine, when he was a toddler, was all over the vet's office. He had a great time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.