Eosinophil is very high...any idea?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA), Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Raja's numbers are worrying me ...the vet said to give her Advantage even though there is no sign of fleas at all. Does anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions for me?
    Eosinophil 54 (2 - 12%)
    Absolute Eosinophil 10962 (0 - 1500 /ul)

Her brother Shadow's were:
    Eosinophil 18
    Absolute Eosinophil 2232

2. weeble

weeble Member

Hi Pat,

Weeble's are high, too (1300 when 1000 is high normal). I've read elsewhere (and sorry, I can't remember where, maybe holisticat?) that they're indicitave of IBD. However, when I did a consultation with Dr. Lisa, she told me she didn't worry about that at all.

I'm kind of laughing as I"m writing this and realizing how not-helpful it is. But I think it may be one of those vague, maybe it's something and maybe not things. Maybe someone will come along with a more definitive answer. Sorry I couldn't return the favor of all the help you offered to us pre-OTJ...

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

:lol: Oh, but I appreciate what you posted Amanda...thank you. My vet didn't seem concerned. It just seems to be off the charts, ya know? Thanks for that though... :YMHUG:

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If you Google for:
    high Eosinophils in felines
    You will get a lot of links. Allergies is one.

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

That's pretty darn high. You mean 10942, not 1942 right? Is this an incidental finding or is your cat having problems? Does she go outside or do you have any other household animals that go outside? Any new animals in the house or over for a visit?

I agree that this should get some attention. Let me know if there are any symptoms of any sort.

6. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

aren't parasites another cause of elevated eosinophils? It could have been picked up at the vet. I think that's where Coco picked up giardia this spring, since none of the other cats had it.

laur

7. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Her 9th month OTJ anniversary came and a spot check of her BGs left me with a 274!!
    I tested her at +8 and PM and it was still elevated.
    The following day, I went to the vet for blood work...they did a chem 25 (no idea why it was not a Chem 27 as her brother had in August) and urinalysis. They called and said there was no infection and that she was fine. She does have a little rash--raised bumps on her belly that the vet noticed and suggested Advantage.

After some posts in LL where some experienced people suggested a C & S, I called and ordered that on Friday. I am giving her insulin now and her numbers are getting better. On Friday when I went to pay for the C & S, I got a copy of the blood work. (the values are attached in my signature)

At home, I looked over the report and I have not spoken to the vet about the elevated numbers yet, but I am assuming that she saw the report and wrote what the Vet Tech relayed to me on the phone.

She had a 14 day course of Clavamox in Aug after a urinalysis (Inappropriate urination) There was trace blood. I was told if she no longer showed that behavior, nothing need be done after the ABs. If she continued, further testing would be needed to rule out bladder stones. She stopped urinating on the floor the next day after starting the ABs, so I just finished the 14 days and thought it was done with. This urinalysis done on 9/24 shows trace blood too. Both were obtained by cystocentisis. Vet said nothing about that apparently. The phone call was just to say that everything looked "fine".

Raja has no symptoms at all. The teeth were done last March and the vet checked her mouth and said that she can come back in 6 months for another.

Both have stayed inside during the heat of the summer....Raja likes to sit on our terrace but it was too hot so I stopped letting her out in July I think. She would jump the fence and wander...Florida is noted for fleas, but she never had any and I have not seen evidence of fleas at all. They both had a skin reaction to Sophistacat food when I gave that a try. I suspect the beef. No more beef in this house.
    They went through a lot a few months ago with that, but both have very nice fur once again. Raja does have strange little bumps here and there...like an eczema or something. But she does not seem to be scratching at all. Their stools look fine with no worms noted. No diarrhea either...all is normal in that department....She has not spent any time at the vet's except for the visit in August and the dental in March. No new animals have been here, no....

I have been reading what I can find. It might be all related to other things on the report that I am not familiar with of course. It just does seem to be way over the top...of course, all abnormal values are in bold type. Absolute Eosinophil 10962 (ref range 0 - 1500 /ul) Eosinophil 54 (2 - 12%)
    This also is troubling me: Remarks: Slide reviewed microscopically. Neutrophils appear slightly toxic Large platelets present RBC morphology appears normal.
    Neutrophil Seg = 24 LOW (ref range 35 - 75%)
    I am concerned since it is so high...any insight would be so appreciated! :razz:

8. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Pat

10K+ is higher than I'd expect to see with run of the mill allergies or parasites. Standard treatment for cats with eosinophilia (high eosinophil count) includes de-fleaing and de-worming. That means giving to BOTH cats Advantage/Frontline and deworming for tapeworm (Droncit, one dose) and everything else (Panacur, five days). This should knock parasites off the table. Your other concern would be something like an eosinophilic granuloma complex; a few bumps on the belly doesn't sound like that, but if it's EGC it will get worse soon enough and that will give an answer.

If the lab still has blood they can run a feline heartworm test (antibody AND antigen).

After the deworming/de-fleaing I would wait two weeks or so and re-do a CBC. The eosinophil count is high enough to make me sit up and notice, so I'd pursue this with your vet if I were you.

9. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Thank you so much Jess...that is so nice of you to help me out...
    I will do all that you said! (of course, I am going to a wedding next weekend. My first time away from my sugar babies in 13 months.) nailbite_smile I am a wreck and not happy I made these plans 6 mos ago.

I will definitely talk to my vet about this and with your information, I feel I can at least go about it the right way now! Many, Many thanks to you! :razz:

10. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Just spoke to the vet office...I will pick up Cestex (in lieu of the Droncit) and Panacur plus one month of Advantage to the two of them...Thereafter I will use the Revolution.
    They will be running a feline heartworm test on Raja's blood.

After about 2 weeks, I will go have a CBC and check the Eosinophil values at that point.
    Many thanks (((Jess))) for all the wonderful information! :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.