ER visit Mr. Darcy; and his past history update below

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tuckers mom, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I was so scared. Got home late from work, Mr. Darcy went to eat his food, but instead went to the litter first but nothing came out. He then squatted every few feet and strained, got only a little bloody urine out.

Took him to Shoreline, he was not blocked, they did an ultrasound of his bladder, no crystals or stones, walls might be a little thick, could be because his bladder was empty.

Did blood work on kidneys only, Creat and BUN elevated.

Was given Clavamox for two weeks, thinks possible UTI, says cats with low USG like him are prone to UTI.

But if the Clav does not help, may be kidney infection. I will follow up with my vet tomorrow.

I did give him some Buprenex in case he's in pain. Right now I'm just thankful this was not a block, I was so scared that I was going to lose him, I know it was premature to think that but he's normally a pee expert.

I'm exhausted now and will give Tucker and Mr. thier meds and try to rest.

2. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

Re: Just got back from ER with Mr. Darcy

So sorry to hear that Mr. Darcy isn't feeling well :(.. Hope the meds help and things get back to normal very soon! Great job getting him to the vet.

3. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Hi Jennifer,

So glad to hear that Mr. Darcy was not blocked. When you follow up with your vet, please try to make sure they get copies of the reports from the ER to keep in his records.

Is Mr. Darcy okay with Clavamox? With my Ketchie, this last bout that we went through, the vet gave her Baytril. I know that not all vets use Baytril, but it worked for her. Another ab used for these infections is Orbax or Zeniquin. Just so you have other options in case he does not tolerate the Clavamox well. Hopefully you have used that with him in the past.

I really don't know Mr. Darcy's history, so not sure if your vet will want to give him fluids or not.

Is he on an all wet diet? That made all the difference in my Ketchie, once I got her off of all dry food. Plus, she likes to drink from the faucet in the bathroom.

Take care and hope Mr. Darcy bounces back very quickly. I know what you mean when you said you were so scared. Seeing the blood and the cat going in little drops, is very scary for us. The best thing you did was get the Bupe into him. Make sure you have more on hand for these emergencies. Hope you get some good rest tonight!

Hugs,
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no!! Poor Mr. Darcy! I hope he is feeling better fast.. its so scary when they cant go.
    (((((((((((((((((((((JENN and MR. DARCY))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

5. tuckers mom

Thank you everyone.

Jean, Mr. Darcy eats 85% raw food and the rest varieties of FF gluten free. But I did give him some Temptations treats the other day, they came as a free sample with petfooddirect, I'm sure that had nothing to do with this.

I've never given Mr. any clav before, he HATED me for it, but it's what I've got to do. No stomach upset from it last night. Will give the second dose shortly. The ER vet is sending everything today I will discuss with Dr. L later on.

ER vet mentioned Baytril if this is a kidney infection, ifthe 2 weeks on Clav doesn't work.

I do not know if he's used the litter box yet, but will try to follow him around a little before work. Just so thankful this wasn't a block. He's just coming out of his shell and made friends with Tucker and Sam, he's been going outside on a harness and having such fun. It's too soon for anything bad to happen to him. He needs time to have fun.

I learned about his past, his previous caretaker contacted me. She's had way too many personal issues that I won't discuss, but I do forgive her, basically, for wanting to PTS (Friskie) Mr. Darcy. I learned that he's lived in the family basement on at least three different occasions. Was violently attacked by an outdoor animal and had many abscesses and infections from it and owners mother cared for him and brought him back from almost dying at about age 6 from that. Also learned that he lived in several different homes with owner and then parents, then owner, then parents, that kind of back and forth.

Mr. Darcy has never had a real home in all his life. What I really want for him is to have years of a stable home with his own beds and his own toys and for DH and I to spoil him with love and the sort of worship that he deserves. Last night scared me so much because we've really grown close and I had this fear that he was blocked and I would lose him.

Okay, sorry for rambling, not much sleep last night :)

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Your said:
    Was given Clavamox for two weeks, thinks possible UTI, says cats with low USG like him are prone to UTI.

One the PetVetCafe group, a vet said the opposite, cats with a low USG are not that prone to UTIs.

7. tuckers mom

That is what the ER vet said, he'd be prone to UTIs. The records should be faxed over soon to my vet, I will find out what she says and let you know. I trust my regular vet more than ER vets, but I'm thankful to have the ER vets :)

8. SherylandClouseau

SherylandClouseau Member

idiopathic cystitis a possibility too

one of my civies wound up w/ similar symptoms and after a C & S showed no infection or bacteria she was dx with IC. She is a stressy gal, but treatment just involves pain control and trying to reduce stress. Since Mr. D has had such a stressful life, I would certainly speak to the vet about the possibility..

9. Jean and Charcoal

Hi Jennifer,

Oh, poor Mr. Darcy and his past sad life. I sure hope he has a LOT of time with you and your DH and I know that you will make him feel that he is loved more than he has ever known!

With the stress that he had in his past life and even the changes he is going through now, even GOOD changes, can sometimes cause stress in cats, so the best thing is to make him feel very, very secure. Even with humans, good stress such as buying a new car or house or getting married, can cause illness in some people.

My Ketchie is stable at the moment, but each day I am concerned about her. She is going to be 15 in August, on the first, and I treasure every moment I have with her. But, she is very high strung, and another cat just looks at her cross eyed, or wants to play with her, and she gets all bent out of shape and hisses at them. This Interstitial Idiopathic Cystitis is still one of the hardest illnesses in cats to deal with, and I find it was easier to deal with feline diabetes than IIC.

Just do the best you can with Mr. Darcy and I sure will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Hope to hear that he feels a lot better and is peeing back to normal again.

Hugs,
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

10. tuckers mom

How does a cat get dx with Idiopathic Cystitis?

He's a pretty stress free cat, except for Angel Kitty, those two aren't going to be friends. He's also just starting to come out of the bedroom and explore the house, I'd imagine that would be stressful for a kitty. No one really bothers him and he's a major snuggle bunny :)

He did a nice pee at lunch time and ate a good amount of raw. Water intake is good too.

11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It is diagnosed by elimination. If a cat has symptoms of a UTI (frequent, small, bloody urination) but a urine analysis and a C & S (very desirable) does not show any bacteria then it is dx'd as Idiopathic Cystitis. Idiopathic means of unknown cause and Cystitis is just inflammation of the bladder.

12. Jean and Charcoal

Hi Jennifer,

Glad to hear that Mr. Darcy is doing much better!

As Larry has stated, the diagnosis of this disease comes from the process of elimination. The site I found below about sums up the most important aspects of what this disease entails:

http://pet-diseases.suite101.com/articl ... l_cystitis

Feline Idiopathic Cystitis and Feline Interstitial Cystitis Defined
    Feline idiopathic cystitis is defined by pathological inflammatory changes which occur within the bladder and urethra of affected cats for which the cause is unknown. A portion of cats suffering from idiopathic cystitis exhibit changes within the bladder known as interstitial cystitis and these cats have been found to be particularly susceptible to stressful situations. In these cats, physiological changes in adrenocortical function consistent with a stress response have been documented, along with changes in behavior attributable to stress, such as a decrease in the overall activity level and an increase in hiding activity. It is thought that increased sensitivity to stress may be genetic in origin, thereby causing some cats to be genetically predisposed to developing feline interstitial cystitis.

Types of Stress Which Contribute to Feline Interstitial Cystitis
    Determining what type of environment might become stressful for any given cat can be difficult to predict and stressors can vary considerably from one cat to another. Some situations which may become stressful for cats include:

•being housed indoors, which may lead to monotony and predictability within the cat's environment, causing boredom
    •multi-cat households, where inter-cat aggression can become stressful
    •changes in household routines, such as new members in the family, loss of a family member, addition of new pets, loss of existing pets, changes in work or school schedules for family members, changes in environment such as redecorating or renovating a part of the home
    •visualizing other pets or wildlife outdoors through windows or doors

Symptoms Associated with Feline Interstitial Cystitis
    Symptoms associated with feline interstitial cystitis are those common to most cases of feline lower urinary tract disease (FLUTD). These symptoms include:

•pain while urinating
    •bloody urine
    •urinating in inappropriate locations (i.e. outside the litter box)
    •frequent attempts to urinate, often producing only very small quantities of urine with each attempt

Multimodal Environmental Modification (MEMO) to Treat Feline Idiopathic Interstitial Cystitis
    Multimodal environmental modification (MEMO) is accomplished by making changes within the cat's environment which are designed to decrease the likelihood of the cat experiencing stress. MEMO includes making changes in the cat's physical environment and diet as well as instituting changes in the way the cat interacts with family members and other pets within the household. The Indoor Cat Initiative is an online resource created to help provide information for cat owners about enriching the lives of indoor cats through the use of multimodal environmental modification.

13. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

I hope mr. Darcy is feeling better soon.
    he is so lucky to be at home w/ you and your dh and other furries Jen. :smile:

fluids and pain meds best treatment for idiopathic cystitis.
    of course, I can't remember if he has other health issue that would preclude the use of fluids.
    (heart issue???? ) Please talk to your vet about the fluids , cause they really do help a lot along with the bup.

healing wishes for the handsome mr. darcy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.