Erica and Carter!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Erica & Carter, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I started posting a day ago but I forgot to do a formal intro so here it goes:

My name Erica, I'm 24 and I live in a small town in Northern Alabama. I'm actually Canadian from Vancouver, BC but I live here on a GC with my wife - so I hope everyone is pretty accepting here!

We will be immigrating back to Canada, and actually shortly before we left for our trip recently, is when we found out about Carter's diabetes.

We adopted him 2 years ago from my in-laws who did not take proper care of him. He had a history of crystals and a one-time blockage that occured that was the ONLY time he recieved any medical attention throughout his whole life, and just barely.

The first thing we did was get him a geri panel, and it showed crystals still in his urine. Since I'm very into holistic, non-filler foods, I did not put him on the perscription diet but bought cranberry powder to add to his food - and it did wonders! On his last UA that revealed some glucose in the urine, he had no trace of crystals anymore.

I have two cats that I brought down from Canada with me, Odin who is 4 year old tabby, and Simon who is a 12 year old orange/white tabby who has had a clean bill of health all of his life, which is more than I can say for the rest of my animals. Odin fractured his femur when we was only 9 months old and had to have emergency surgery, which thankfully cost me a penny because of my connections as working as a kennel tech at my previous job. Simon however does have some behavioural issues, he gags when he hears certain noises, will occasionally pee around the house. All things we've learned to adapt to. My wife and I adopted a dog from the shelter in 2014 named Kya. She is approx. under 5 years old and is a 70 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback/Lab. Kya is extremely sensitive to high protein foods and is on medication for skin allergies. Carter and her love eachother, but more so her loving him than anything. Carter also needs eye gel once daily for his allergies.

Both senior cats (Carter and Simon) get annual bloodwork.

We also had a rat named Radley who had to be put to sleep due to organ failure a a little over a month ago. He was 3, which is considered quite old for a fancy rat.

I'm pretty young but my animals are my children as I NEVER want human children haha! We are not super well off but I'm willing to do what is necessary for these animals that depend solely on us. This website is amazing!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Erica - waving to you from North Vancouver BC. :) As long as you love your cat, people are very accepting here. Sounds like you've got a great fur family already.

I see you've already start posting in Health, so just wanted to say welcome. My Neko started out on Caninsulin/Vetsulin and I was very glad when we made the switch.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  3. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

Hi!!

I'm from North Vancouver too! Haha how funny!

Yes I just spoke with my vet and we will be switching his insulin once this bottle is finished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.