Essential oils and cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by krazy4kritters, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

For those who use or are interested in using essential oils on themselves or diffuse in your home may want to check these articles out. I have recently become very interested in using them on myself for wellness. I currently do use a few but am on the fence on going gung-ho with them because they are potentially toxic to cats.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/blog/essential-oils-cats/

http://www.vmdtoday.com/news/are-essential-oils-harmful-to-cats-and-dogs

http://tisserandinstitute.org/cats-essential-oil-safety/

Sylvie likes this.
  2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I bought a beautiful burner and some lovely essential oils, got them home and decided for some reason I'd just better check on whether or not it was okay to use then around cats, and, boy, am I glad I did! They are still all sitting in the gift bag the store put them in, never even took them out. Almost all of them have some degree of toxicity to cats; to me, it just isn't worth it.

Bellasmom, Sylvie and krazy4kritters like this.
  3. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

Need to be careful with those new salt lamps that are the craze now as well. Make sure your cats or doolers don’t lick them. Salt toxicity.

Bellasmom, Sylvie and Squalliesmom like this.
  4. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

I have 4 salt lamps but none are where my cats could access them.

And no oil burners or those cool looking vaporisers either! It gets in the air, lands on their fur, they lick and it's toxic.

krazy4kritters and Bellasmom like this.
  5. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

guess one of my cats knew that krazy cause they peed on one of the two salt lamp i bought lol
    sadly i didn't think of them licking lamps as an issue when i bought them so i guess it is a good thing he peed on it on first week which made me put the second lamp up on a shelf in my room that they can't get to.

ever since the peppermint candle incident years ago, i don't diffuse oils except for pure lavender and a drop or two of pure geranium but, i mostly quit that too after dumping a not that great quality rose water into diffuser, smelled great so now i just use rose hydrosol and lavender hydrosal in my diffuser, suppose to be safe and i haven't noticed any issues but, i limit how long i turn it on, usually it is just to rid of poop or strong cat food smell..

6. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

Hydrosols are safe for cats. They have the same benefits (some will argue better) as essential oils.

Sylvie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.