Evangers food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meya14, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

So I'm having a heck of a time figuring out this food business. Max was on Chicken soup wet kitten + dry natural balance (both have fish/salmon in it) and at 4U BID. Blood sugars were awesome at this time.

The cats both decided the chicken soup wasn't their favorite. I switched to natural balance salmon wet, and continued the same dry. Blood sugars quickly elevated. Switched to wellness turkey minced. BS much better.

The thing is, I need a cheaper food that is going to be good for both cats. Jane's finicky about wet food, and I can't really afford $90+/month for food on top of insulin supplies and vet visits. So far, I ordered some innova cat and kitten to try. Also, I saw Evangers food, which to me seems ridiculously cheap, with no potatoes or rice in the food. Trader Joe's food has always been a go-to prior to the diabetes, but now I don't know. The Evangers has 100% meat foods too. Has anyone tried this brand or the innova? Any other brands for feeding 2 cats at <$2 a day?

My only other criteria is no purina products, IAMS, or science diet. I'm not cool with the multiple food poisonings my cats had in the past on these foods.

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I could have sworn that one of our food lists had Evangers on it and it was a less than 10% but I sure can't find it now.

I think the Innova is good but mine doesn't cooperate with the better quality foods.
    The other one that I wish she would eat more of is nature's variety.

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Meya,

I just had a quick look online to see what I could find out about this food and was rather shocked that almost the first info I came across was concerning complaints about Evangers foods...

I am really sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I do think you may want to look at these two links (and there seem to be quite a few others out there) before making a decision about whether you spend your money on this food...
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/evangers.html
    http://truthaboutpetfood.com/evangers-pet-food-troubles/#comments

Maybe there are folks here who've had positive experiences, and if so, I hope they'll chime in.

Really hoping you can find foods that suit your kitties' needs, and without emptying your wallet.

Eliz

4. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

You might try The Evo brand. I order it from Chewy.com, free shipping on orders of $49 and they even auto-ship. The dry Cat& Kitten is only 10% carbs and the wet is 8% if I remember correctly. I have 6 cats, with one being diabetic, a 15 year old dog with congestive heart failure, so my vet bill are scary! Two of my kitties were quite "plump" , not the diabetic tho, and they've both lost some weight in the Evo food.

5. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Good to know, I looked up on FDA actions, and they weren't even putting the right meat in the cans, they were trying to pass beef off as lamb.
    I canceled my order. I knew it was too good to be true.

Innova makes the EVO products, so if the cats agree on the innova I ordered, maybe we'll let them try the EVO. The price doesn't look too bad for the 13oz cans. It's pretty sad that 13oz of canned food costs almost as much as 13oz ground meat at the grocery store.

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I bought some freeze dried treats from Evangers once, and thought they smelled funny, so I called the company with my concern. The lady who answered the phone was really nice, and I told her about J.D.'s diet and being a diabetic. I was able to return the treats for a full refund and they sent me like 10 buy one get one free coupons for their Evangers all meat canned food. I bought the food and my cats would not eat it :( Plus I was warned at the pet food store that the 100% meat varieties would need to mixed with another cat food that has the added nutrients and vitamins required by a cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.