? Every animal in my house has diarrhea

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shiloh & Rhonda (GA), Jun 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

This started just after I started giving the cats the canned food. Since I switched so quickly, I understand them, but the dogs??? They aren't getting into the food, because if they were it would be gone, and they haven't touch the litter box. I don't get it???

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

All I can think of is they all have some kind of virus. I would call the vet.

3. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Actually, my husband just pointed out that one of our dogs(the Chiweenie) is fine. But our overly sensitive Dachshund-Chinese Crested mix has loose stool. I am wondering if he is responding to the changes that have been going on in the house, as he has been known to do. Getting some pumpkin for the cats. But will call the vet also. Thanks Debby.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We recommend that food changes be done gradually, about 20-25% per day, to avoid GI upsets of vomiting and/0r diarrhea.

We have observed that from time to time, manufactures have batch processing issues - either a problem at the plant, or a significant shift in ingredients - which may cause GI issues. Examples in the last 5 years reported here include Wellness and Friskies.

5. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

BJ, I knew I needed to do the switch gradually, but I also saw a change in her BG by adding the canned food, got excited and eager to get her off the dry, and took it away almost immediately. Bad kitty mom, I know.

6. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

Fred's been having loose BM also, the last couple of days. I was thinking bad batch of FF canned (Turkey n Giblets Classic, Chopped Grill Feast Classic, Liver and Chicken Feast Classic, so I switched to a different batch... Savory Salmon Feast classic. He did eat some turkey bacon. He barfed up a nice furball on my shoe. Thanks Fred! Love you too! Hope your kids are better soon.

7. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

Maggie is beautiful! I've had several Siamese in my lifetime . Fred's dad was actually Siamese and his mom was Turkish Angora. Beautiful animals.

Maggies Mom Debby likes this.
  8. Maggies Mom Debby

Thanks, Jamye. Love those apple headed siamese! I've had 5 siamese/siamese mixes. Zeke was seal-point, Max was flame-point, Maggie was blue-point, Emme was tortie-point and Erik is flame-point.

Fred is gorgeous too. He obviously got those wonderful Angora genes.

9. Maggies Mom Debby

Rhonda, how is everyone doing? I hope better.

10. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

I haven't heard back from the vet, but my one dog got and devoured his pumpkin. We will see with the others. In case you haven't seen them these are all mine. And Shiloh is my profile picture. 26522_1245951389396_1042798_n.jpg 53889_1394961594558_5812717_o.jpg 614998_10200774748511546_1447556650_o.jpg

11. underdawg

underdawg Member

Bo has has diarrhea and vomiting due to his diagnosis of pancreatitis recently. He also eats FF turkey and giblets classic and chicken feast classic. My other three seem to be okay but haven't eaten much during thus time. I thought it may be like sympathy pains. I wonder if it could be the FF. Bo was the one who had symptoms first when Wellness had their recall.

12. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

A long time ago, my cats got salmonella from eating friskies canned food. Some infections can spread via the fecal-oral route from animal to animal, and to humans as well depending on the bacteria/virus. It's probably a good idea to get it tested to know what you are dealing with, and take care to disinfect areas well so other family members don't get sick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.