Evie's checkup (8/yo bad arthritis)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Plugbait, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

Back-right leg.

He said her x-ray from a couple weeks ago did not show spurs like I was afraid he had said.. it was a possible spur forming I believe was similar to how he worded it (sorry, not as educated yet about arthritis as I am becoming about feline diabetes).

I asked him about different products, and as I suspected he didn't act very knowledgeable about all the different methods of treatment. Fortunately for me, what he prescribes is one of the medicines mentioned by a board member and one I was interested in trying.

So I now have a box of 80 sprinkle capsules of Cosequin. Planning to start giving her one-a-day starting with tonight's feeding time.

I did get the name of what he prescribed her last time (I couldn't read the prescription so I had him spell it for me):

it's Prednisolone.

Supposed to give her that twice a day for 2 weeks and then back it off to once a day for a 3rd week (all the while giving the Cosequin also).

She is also going to need a broken tooth cut out and goes back in 3 weeks for that dental work and teeth cleaning and possibly for another x-ray to see how well her Cosequin and anti-inflammatory medication are working.

Hoping the best for her! May have a vet to switch to once all these things are settled. Have to drive a little longer, but she is getting great reviews on my local topix.com.

-=][V][=-

2. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

That's a steroid. Is Evie diabetic? If she is, (or even if she isn't), don't be surprised if her BG goes up while she's on it. I can't say I've seen it prescribed for arthritis much, but I guess it's because it is an anti-inflammatory.

Would highly recommend starting her on fish oil after you're done with pred. Omega-3 has anti-inflammatory properties too. And in answer to your question in the other thread - I do the same as Jill, poke one end of capsule and squeeze drops into the food. It's good for their fur too :)

IMHO, I wouldn't recheck the x-ray. If she improves, you'll see it in her activity level and gait and general demeanour. I'd save my money. Plus three weeks is too soon - I think Cosequin says 4 to 6 weeks for full benefit (although we did see an improvement in agility after two weeks).

3. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

Thanks for the reply. No, Evie is not our diabetic cat. That lucky title goes to the orange one, Pixie. :)

-M

4. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Mike

It's a little unusual to use pred for arthritis unless it is severe. It absolutely will help with joint stuff so you'll see pretty quickly if her discomfort is from her joints.

A dental is a major procedure, I'm surprised you'd undertake it with a vet whose judgment you question. You need to find out what anesthesia and pain meds they use, who does the dental and extractions (tech or vet), if they do dental x-rays (absolutely they must do x-rays!) ... There are a ton of "dental" threads on the board if you want to do a search.

5. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

I'm kind of stuck with the doctor I have for now because I have a tab there now. I don't even have to pay anything during visits if I can't at the time (I have gone broke trying to take care of Pixie the diabetic and her with her arthritis). It really sucks and I hate it but she has a fang broken off with the root of it still in her gum (from what I can tell, anyway i.e. what it looks like when I look in her mouth). That has to be extremely painful and I'd assume she could easily get infected that way also. This vet has done dental work for me in the past with good results.

It is pretty severe arthritis. She limped for many months before I could afford to take her and her brother to the doctor. Have dumped $500+ down the vet drain the last couple weeks.

-M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.